New stuff, Sontec variation

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonte Knif

I decided to build a clean EQ. Since I don't feel like copying anything too closely I ended up modifying Sontec topology heavily. As everyone knows there are issues with whole range gain and noise performance with different Q-values in the trad circuit. The way around this is sort of easy, but requires quite a lot of components. Q has to be based on chancing caps, not resistors.

Any how, here is my take. OP amps are class A, jfet input and jfet output designs. Very low in noise and distortion.

Now that is one super fine creation :)

Wow! I mean ... wow!

Another piece of design art from Mr Knif!

Thank you all for the positive comments!
I'm sorry that I will keep the detailed schematics for myself since this will probably be a commercial product. OTOH I find it unlikely that many people would build this variation since it requires substantially more components than Sontec, "only" to avoid some issues most people won't even notice when using the original.

This topology has whole range gain which is not dependent on Q-value. A decision has to made how much is tolerated, and this in turn affects the noise performance and available Q-values. It is a compromise.  I settled on 0,27dB whole range gain for one band 8dB boost. This is more than normal Sontec in high Q setting, but substantially less than normal Sontec in low Q settings.
Noise performance also is no more dependent on the Q setting as heavily as in the original. Now one band adds noise only according to its own bandwidth, the peak value does not change along Q. The worst case is high shelf, from 4th bands lowest frequency, where the impedance level is highest. In my circuit this is around -80dBu.  Typical bell curve produces only -96dBu noise.

Worst case distortion performance: Cutting max level, 20kHz, maximum amount. Picture attached. In any real world settings the distortion is not measurable with AP portable one.

Sontec has this "feature" that when you boost or cut some part of the spectrum, the rest of the spectrum moves to the same direction.  In mastering work that may sometimes be confusing.

Latest posts

Back