K&H O300

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siegfried Meier

Hey guys,

I acquired a used set of these a while back (non digital version) and recently put them in my main room.  Now, for some reason, even with the attenuator all the way up, the monitors are about half the volume of anything else I put them up with - I'm using a Dangerous Monitor ST in that room, and even adjusting the volumes won't put it in the ballpark.  Every other monitor I've used (Focal Solo 6BE, NS10's with Bryston 4B, Mackie HR824, Event 20/20bas) is pretty much on point with each other, and switching from one to the next at least doesn't jar the listening experience.  But these things, it's like there's some other internal level adjustment that's  been tweaked but I can't find anything in the manual…

Anyone that might have experience with these, your help is much appreciated…it's a head scratcher at this point.  If they were fried, they either wouldn't work or at least they wouldn't both be exhibiting the same thing, right??  It's like they're only getting a -10 signal or something…but that doesn't make any sense...

Thanks!
Sig

I just decided to connect a Mackie Big Knob to 2 sets of monitors just to check and make sure the Dangerous wasn't causing any weirdness, and the same thing is happening.  If I crank the outputs to the K&H and turn down completely the outputs to the Mackie HD824's, I can get a pretty close match…but that's a huge difference in level.  I can't imagine the K&H's came like this from the factory...

So, it sounds like the K&H's are damaged then or something?  Or is there another level control I'm not aware of?

I think these monitors are just low input level - they say +6dB on the XLR.  I ran a line driver into them and boosted the signal by 14dB and I'm able to accurately match them to other speakers now.  Problem solved!

Latest posts

Back