Led lighting for eurorack case

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XAXAU

Hi guys!

I´m designing a case for eurorack that I´ve recently gotten hooked on! Was planning on putting 5 leds on the top of the case to illuminate the modules but the power in eurorack is ac and the leds run on dc.

Some of you are probably laughing right now but hey we all start somewhere right? :)

The leds run on 12vdc and eurorack power is 12vac. I guess I have to convert ac to dc but am unsure of the right way to do it. I´ve seen the diamond diode rectifier and some put a capacitor across the + and - outputs. Is that the way to do it? I also heard the cap should (at least) match the voltage of the circuit and that the F should be as high as possible to "separate the voltages the best" (whatever that means).

For clarification, I want to tap the leds off of the eurorack PSU which will be a Hinton dual 1,6A (continuous load) and the 5 leds draw 16mA each.

Also I´d like to dim the leds if possible. Via pot or switch, doesn´t matter!

Thanks!

r u talking about eurorack synth  / modules / vca /lfo etc...

i dont use this PSU but, just for the reference for the supply
http://store.synthrotek.com/Eurorack_5A_Power_Supply_System

kambo said:
r u talking about eurorack synth  / modules / vca /lfo etc...

i dont use this PSU but, just for the reference for the supply
http://store.synthrotek.com/Eurorack_5A_Power_Supply_System
Hey Kambo!

No what I mean is that I want to take AC from the PSU I´ll be using (Hinton) and convert it to DC which I´ll be powering 5x LEDs with. The leds will be screwed into the case and provide some lighting over the modules.

I´ll be using these LEDs: https://www.oznium.com/side-view-led-bolt#tech

On my snow-blower, I just put a full wave bridge across the AC output of the alternator and fed a car-type 12VDC LED from that. It flickers, especially at idle. It may be over-volting the LED package at full roar.

I certainly would not want "dim". I want drivers to KNOW that I am out near/in the road in the dark.

There really are reasons to use a proper LED supply. Especially dimming.

PRR said:
On my snow-blower, I just put a full wave bridge across the AC output of the alternator and fed a car-type 12VDC LED from that. It flickers, especially at idle. It may be over-volting the LED package at full roar.

I certainly would not want "dim". I want drivers to KNOW that I am out near/in the road in the dark.

There really are reasons to use a proper LED supply. Especially dimming.
Hey PRR!

I´m such a newb at this! Don´t people put limiting resistors on leds here to dim down the brightness? Wouldn´t that be the same thing as what I´m trying to do?

Ok I had a look around and it seems that LEDs should be dimmed with PWM especially in the lower range.

But I could still increase the limiting resistor until I´ve got the light intensity I like right? Not too low of course!

> Don´t people put limiting resistors on leds

So put another 500 Ohms in there, see how much it dims.

am i missing something here!
eurorack runs on DC... u already have 12VDC and 5VDC

AC supply is ur external power transformer for your regulator circuit...

kambo said:
am i missing something here!
eurorack runs on DC... u already have 12VDC and 5VDC

AC supply is ur external power transformer for your regulator circuit...
Oh really? Shit, I thought it ran on AC. I´m such an idiot! :p

Latest posts

Back