True or fake ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r2d2

True or fake ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNLI03zVQ_A

As the Thanksgiving Day turkey  ;D

220°C. over an heater (infrared?) without any damage to parts ?  :eek:

please post your about ,
thanks.
r.

I've got one that needs the same treatment. I've done quite a lot of reading on it, just haven't got round to it yet.

There are descriptions  online using the oven method, or alternatively using a hot air gun. Enough people write that they've been successful for me to be confident that it can work.

That video doesn't instill much confidence in me though.  It seems pretty casual! I'd look around for a slightly better set of instructions if you need to do it...

I don't know about Mac laptops, but I've seen similar treatments to video games consoles.

Microsoft's XBOX 360 had some problems about termal paste, leading to non working consoles. After getting them in the oven for some minutes, the consoles went back to life for a few hours, time enough to go to a pawn shop and sell it while it still works... You know, spanish wilines... :(

I guess everything is about a bit of solder reflow due to the oven's temp, but I doubt it's a long-term solution.

r2d2 said:
220°C. over an heater (infrared?) without any damage to parts ?  :eek:

That's how the parts are soldered to the board in manufacture, so yeah. Kinda sorta. Parts do have a temperature curve, though. They're supposed to be ramped up and ramped down at a particular speed, and stay at the max temperature (within some spec) for a certain amount of time, and sticking them in an ordinary oven like that seems dodgy. Likewise with a heat gun - it would help a lot to know what temperature the chip and board are reaching.

Here's one of many articles on small toaster ovens (dunno if they're big enough for that board) converted for reflow duty, with discussion of temp profile:
https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/technical-articles/introduction-to-manually-controlled-toaster-oven-reflow/

But the need to reflow something on an already made board suggests that it's getting too hot in "normal" operation, and it needs something (more air flow, more heat sinking) to keep it from getting so hot, but the confines of a laptop don't offer much space for adding an improvement.

Latest posts

Back