LA2a p2p - general improvement questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hugo

Hi, i finished my first pair of la-2a, which sounds awesome. I will build an other pair, but want to try some modification and then, i will choose the pair i keep regarding my taste...

-10uf output cap : Does somebody try different caps and can tell his impressions ? I went with Jensen for this 1st pair
-Arco cap : is there a recommended value here ? Is it a better choice to put silver mica there ?
-1968 vs reissue schematic : Does somebody try both, and could share his feelings ?
-Carbon comp vs metal : Does anybody try both ?
- 1M pots : I made the first unit with PEC, but have some AB here, does it matter except for the look ?

Kind regards,

There's been discussion of using an electrolytic like Sprague or Mallory for the output cap like the original. I plan to try this myself. I've heard it's a bit more mellow. You can go bigger as well, like 22uF

Arco cap: There's info about these in the DLA2A thread. A pdf on the first page. Suggestion is to use silver mica, buy something like 100pF to 500pf, various and pick the one that gives the flattest response.

1M pot for the low end compression response? I would imagine either are fine.

But for input/peak reduction, here is a discussion about Allen Bradley pots vs. PEC: https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=62931.0

- output cap was made by mallory. partnr tc72. but it seems as if they have just recetly stopped producing it :(
- arco trimmer is a 465. id not replace it if id want that la2a tone

Back