Kicad Questions for the kicad guys

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

So as part of the new year I am  trying out kicad. I had a few questions to some of you kicad gurus

1. Why is it when I add a .lib file that is additional to the ones provided by kicad, I have to add it to every project?  Is there anyway to have it  saved into the list so it is always there. I have it in my library folder with all the other kicad folder.  I have searched the web and can't seem to find an answer. While it is not a deal breaker especially for a free trial, it would be nice to see if I can resolve this.

2.  Can anyone explain to me how to import .mod footprints of devices? I followed instructions and they are in the list but the moment I try use them, I get an error.

pucho812 said:
So as part of the new year I am  trying out kicad. I had a few questions to some of you kicad gurus

1. Why is it when I add a .lib file that is additional to the ones provided by kicad, I have to add it to every project?  Is there anyway to have it  saved into the list so it is always there. I have it in my library folder with all the other kicad folder.  I have searched the web and can't seem to find an answer. While it is not a deal breaker especially for a free trial, it would be nice to see if I can resolve this.

For starters, which version of Kicad are you using? You should be on 4.0.5, start here.

See the "Getting Started in Kicad" manual, accessed from Kicad's help menu. Section 2 has the instructions.

To change the default schematic libraries, you have to modify the kicad.pro "template" project. Where that lives depends on your operating system. On Windows, it's in C:\Program Files\kicad\share\kicad\template and in modern Windows, since it's in Program Files, you have to be an administrator to edit it (no problem).  The libraries are listed in a section [eeschema/libraries].

2.  Can anyone explain to me how to import .mod footprints of devices? I followed instructions and they are in the list but the moment I try use them, I get an error.

The .mod footprints are obsolete, the new libraries use something called .pretty libraries which contain .kicad_mod files.

What exactly do you mean by "import footprints?" Does pcbnew know about your footprint library table? See the pcbnew manual, section 2.

Latest posts

Back