Neve 80 series Console Build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Mercedes paint that was chosen, that's just for the pre-NAD RAF look, right? BSC colors are pretty difficult to find stateside, but in Broadcast Series land I managed to find 640 Extra Dark Sea Grey stocked at Klass Kote. Epoxy spray, with a catalyzing wait time, looks like a good candidate with an HVLP gun...or just bring it to a body shop if they can mix it. I did find a Chevrolet color that sort of comes close, but...nah. I'd be interested in hearing more about what your panel painting process was.

atavacron said:
That Mercedes paint that was chosen, that's just for the pre-NAD RAF look, right? BSC colors are pretty difficult to find stateside, but in Broadcast Series land I managed to find 640 Extra Dark Sea Grey stocked at Klass Kote. Epoxy spray, with a catalyzing wait time, looks like a good candidate with an HVLP gun...or just bring it to a body shop if they can mix it. I did find a Chevrolet color that sort of comes close, but...nah. I'd be interested in hearing more about what your panel painting process was.
Well ,I first start with those UK military painth online shops.I bought Extra Dark Sea Gray and few more , but I was not blown away, so to speak.They were ok , but difference from geniune Neve colour was obvious, and satin was more glossy than satin.I ended up in small car painth shop with my painthing guy , and after few hours of mixing and trying different mixtures , I found cool looking colour.It is also not a exactly the same as geniune , but fact is that it look very nice and quality is great.

Right....there’s no way to really nail it without knowing what the original process was. Maybe Ian has an idea.

I’ve been looking high and low for some buss channel extrusion.  Spoke with Vero and I think they’re in process of figuring out how to do a short run of single width strip. Thinking about having an original spec multi channel milled but am not excited about the cost. Any leads on the right extrusion? I suppose it doesn’t necessarily have to be satin anodized aluminum. I recall somewhere a picture of the channel you guys devised, but the Keystone feedthru pins were super pricey. Cambion definitely does not have the right size (~.750” pin to pin, .136” hole, .250” above the panel) without a 2500 MOQ.

atavacron said:
Right....there’s no way to really nail it without knowing what the original process was. Maybe Ian has an idea.

I’ve been looking high and low for some buss channel extrusion.  Spoke with Vero and I think they’re in process of figuring out how to do a short run of single width strip. Thinking about having an original spec multi channel milled but am not excited about the cost. Any leads on the right extrusion? I suppose it doesn’t necessarily have to be satin anodized aluminum. I recall somewhere a picture of the channel you guys devised, but the Keystone feedthru pins were super pricey. Cambion definitely does not have the right size (~.750” pin to pin, .136” hole, .250” above the panel) without a 2500 MOQ.

I don't know the answers to these off the top of my head I could ask on the Neve old boys forum if you like. So I ask the right questions(s), exactly what do you want to know?

Cheers

Ian

atavacron said:

Those feedthru pins are indeed very pricey. If you don't care about their size too much, some are a bit cheaper. The ones I used for my first busses were around 1€ each, now I got some smaller ones for the remaining busses and with the number I'm ordering, the price went down to 60cts each, which is still a stupid price, but better I guess.
I know that Blake Devitt carries the original extrusions, but he's probably only selling them to Neve board owners... So I'm sticking to the old style ones with L and U bars ;)

remsouille said:
The ones I used for my first busses were around 1€ each, now I got some smaller ones for the remaining busses and with the number I'm ordering, the price went down to 60cts each, which is still a stupid price, but better I guess.

Do you have the part number or spec for either? I might have missed it if you posted it.

remsouille said:
I know that Blake Devitt carries the original extrusions, but he's probably only selling them to Neve board owners... So I'm sticking to the old style ones with L and U bars ;)

Maybe Blake can be cajoled.

Pic attached of the extrusion(s) for clarity.

Attachments

• 5316 buss extrusions.jpg
    5316 buss extrusions.jpg
    778.9 KB · Views: 81
ruffrecords said:
So I ask the right questions(s), exactly what do you want to know?

Whether the original satin BSC341 640 Extra Dark Sea Grey spray on the NAD faceplates was two part epoxy, basically. Better yet, just the name of the company in England that can still provide the exact process and color. I was reading an Eddie Ciletti article and it sounded like (at least when it was written) the correct original process still exists but is more legal in the UK than the US.

atavacron said:
Whether the original satin BSC341 640 Extra Dark Sea Grey spray on the NAD faceplates was two part epoxy, basically. Better yet, just the name of the company in England that can still provide the exact process and color. I was reading an Eddie Ciletti article and it sounded like (at least when it was written) the correct original process still exists but is more legal in the UK than the US.

I have asked about the extrusions. I will pas on any answers I get.

Not entirely sure what the above question is about? Do you want to know who  painted the RAF blue/grey Neve front panels and/or the process they used?

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Not entirely sure what the above question is about? Do you want to know who  painted the RAF blue/grey Neve front panels and/or the process they used?

Cheers

Ian

Hey Ian, If you get that information you could probably dine out on it for years 😉.

ruffrecords said:
I have asked about the extrusions. I will pas on any answers I get.

Thank you

ruffrecords said:
Do you want to know who  painted the RAF blue/grey Neve front panels and/or the process they used?

Mostly what the process was and who is doing it the same way now. I’m not after RAF blue/grey for what it’s worth, I’m after the revised NAD color. But any info would be helpful.

SIXTYNINER said:
Seen it running on the "Tube" video with your Studer desk

Zam automation  Super Cooooooool 
for this Super  Cooooooool  desk !

cheers

Hello

Not the topic but thanks for that  :)

Best
Zam

Here is what I have been able to find out about the process used to paint Neve panels in RAF blue/grey back in the 70s.

The primary painting contractor for all Neve metalwork (front & rear panels, cladding, etc) was George Lemin & Co.  Looking at the Companies House website they are still active (company no. 01318507), at Unit 4, Albone Way, Biggleswade, SG18 8BN, and now called Lemin & Co Product Finishers Ltd.  Tel. 01767 600120.

I have not been able to find any definitive info  regarding paint processes but I am told panels were powder-coated stove enamelled.

I guess it would be simplest to ask Lemin & Co.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Here is what I have been able to find out about the process used to paint Neve panels in RAF blue/grey back in the 70s.

The primary painting contractor for all Neve metalwork (front & rear panels, cladding, etc) was George Lemin & Co.  Looking at the Companies House website they are still active (company no. 01318507), at Unit 4, Albone Way, Biggleswade, SG18 8BN, and now called Lemin & Co Product Finishers Ltd.  Tel. 01767 600120.

I have not been able to find any definitive info  regarding paint processes but I am told panels were powder-coated stove enamelled.

I guess it would be simplest to ask Lemin & Co.

Cheers

Ian

That is some valuable info, thank you Ian!

Great work remsouille!!!

remsouille said:
Hi Robb, Those are not LO1166, they are T1310 inductors. This inductor was used at neve to load the BA183/283 cards when no balanced output was required. A traditionnal neve switching unit would have 1 BA183 before the fader,  loaded with such an inductor, and another BA183 before the buss sends, loaded with an LO1166 to use as a direct output.
Those modules in the pictures are just  tape return switching units for the right side of the console, so they don't need direct ouptuts, hence the two T1310 inductors. As a matter of fact, the left side, 8 buss 4aux switching units we're about to build won't have LO1166 for direct ouput either, as I don't have the need for them. I'd much rather use a buss.
On a side note,  you can see on the pictures  that the modules are not fitted with an input transformer yet. I'll be using OEP 31267 transformers.

OEP 31267 ?

ilfungo said:
Great work remsouille!!!

OEP 31267 ?

Well technically, the OEP reference is X218A04B, but this is OEP's recreation of the classic Marinair 31267 line in transformer (in case you don't know, OEP is a british transformer manufacturer that's part of the carnhill group and they make (supposedly) the most spot on input marinair recreations out there, you can find them in the heritage audio clones, for example).

Thanks remsouille!
But after a google search of OEP X218A04B nothing come up...
Where did you buy them?

Latest posts

Back