Neve 80 series Console Build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
80hinhiding said:
You must have a good budget for this.  Lots of iron.
Well, only 6 buses would need this, and I have the iron already. And I'm not counting money anymore anyway haha

remsouille said:
HA! Thank you! That clears it all up! I almost thought bus and buss were different words altogether  :eek:That was my initial plan, then I realized it wouldn't make sense to have pre-insert feeds (to me at least). But it's alright, an extra input transformer will fit inside a 1272, it's just really tight but eh! What should I use, btw? Just a 31267 10K:600 ?

31267 wired 10K:600 would be the normal choice to bring the signal down to the nominal internal level again.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
31267 wired 10K:600 would be the normal choice to bring the signal down to the nominal internal level again.

Cheers

Ian

Great! Thank you, Ian!

I've been working a lot on the design of the center section these days.  Lots of brain scratching, sourcing and comparing different parts, drawing front panels and stuff, but I'm close to have somewhat of a finished idea of what it's going to be! More on that soon!

WOOW! That's just great!! What routing modules do you have?

Ive got 1867 routing modules (12") 1455 osc, 1655 t/b (5.5") , 1875/1874 revs (8.75").  the line amps are also 5.5" modules, but I cant for the life of me remember the module designation. I'll have a check tomorrow.
Yeah, the amphenol connectors... I managed to find a batch of 250 a couple of years ago, fellow gdiy member API bought them all, maybe he might be willing to sell them, he's been away from Neve stuff for quite some time. Same thing for the heatsinks, he had them made, maybe he still have some, though they were not cheap!

I'm after the 10 way and 15 way Amphenols
Amphenol 10 way socket - 143-010-01
Amphenol 10 way plug - 133-010-21

Amphenol 15 way socket - 143-015-01
Amphenol 15 way plug - 133-015-21 ?

......... Now that will be one of the longest shots !!

Best,
Steve

Kid Squid said:
I'm after the 10 way and 15 way Amphenols
Amphenol 10 way socket - 143-010-01
Amphenol 10 way plug - 133-010-21

Amphenol 15 way socket - 143-015-01
Amphenol 15 way plug - 133-015-21 ?

......... Now that will be one of the longest shots !!

Indeed! I just found 20 x 133-018-13, but 79$ each? No thank you... About the plugs though, don't neglect the ones that end with .13 , they're pins instead of eyelets but that doesn't make much of a difference!

Indeed! I just found 20 x 133-018-13, but 79$ each? No thank you... About the plugs though, don't neglect the ones that end with .13 , they're pins instead of eyelets but that doesn't make much of a difference!

:eek: :eek: :eek: 79$ each !!!!! Ffs !!!

I wish Amphenol would start producing again..... I can dream  ;D

Remi, Heres some links to a photobucket album of mine. Just so you can see what I'm up against !!
https://s848.photobucket.com/user/lazylizardlabs/library/Neve%20Desk%20Bits
and the 1060's ( I got to build 24 for myself)
https://s848.photobucket.com/user/lazylizardlabs/library/Neve%20Desk%20Bits/NEVE%201060

Goodness... that thing IS ancient!

She's an oldie alright ! Ive tried finding out info on her, but I cant find anything. At all.
Ive asked GT, Blake etc and no-one knows anything.

Ive seen some old drawings from 1970, but this pre-dates that. Strangely, there seems to be more pics of the older black front types, but nothing on this old girl / frame style / heritage etc. from before the early 80's anyway.
It's all a bit sad really, as the previous owner racked up the 1060's, and stripped the frame.
We managed to find 9 out of 10 of the side cheeks, none of the original ISEP, none of the frame connector rails, none of the busbar, basically, what you see in the pics, is all thats there !!

There was a rumour that it came from the Hammer House of horror studios, but after doing some research, it seems like the original productions studios which were in Bray, was re-located in 1966. I'd say that era was the black front ?
but saying that, the 2254 was developed around 1968, and this console was before that as its mainly Germanium, (-24V) ??
However, I'm not entierly sure that the console was fully (-24V) as there are two 24V PSU's of equal size that would be overkill for phantom powering. mmmmm... possibly +24/0V/-24V (48Vacross the two) Obviously Ive got more investigations to do, and a lot of this is just summising at the moment.
Questions indeed..... ::)

Kid Squid said:
Remi, Heres some links to a photobucket album of mine. Just so you can see what I'm up against !!
https://s848.photobucket.com/user/lazylizardlabs/library/Neve%20Desk%20Bits
and the 1060's ( I got to build 24 for myself)
https://s848.photobucket.com/user/lazylizardlabs/library/Neve%20Desk%20Bits/NEVE%201060

Interesting that back in 1972 they were still using octal plug in input transformers, external power transistors and a negative rail. By the time I joined in 1974 all that had been replaced by the now familiar St. Ives input transformers, all NPN circuits with the power transistor on the PCB and a +ve rail.

Do you know the A number for this console? It is usually on a small plate riveted to the back of the mixer. If you can find it I may be able to find out some more info about it.

Cheers

Ian

Those 15 way Amphenol are the same as 500 series racks, no?  Should be plenty of sockets available from other manufacturers (Cinch, Viking, SAE are a few I have on hand) unless you have to have Amphenol to be authentic.

mjrippe said:
Those 15 way Amphenol are the same as 500 series racks, no?  Should be plenty of sockets available from other manufacturers (Cinch, Viking, SAE are a few I have on hand) unless you have to have Amphenol to be authentic.
Then again, the females are not the issue, the males are (pun intended aha).

remsouille said:
Then again, the females are not the issue, the males are (pun intended aha).

Ain't it always so?  :)
A cheapo solution that some Neve rackers have done is just using a PCB card for the male but, in a desk environment, dunno about the reliability of that.

Brian Roth said:
Sullins makes male edge connectors.

https://sullinscorp.com/products/?filters=category:312&toggle=in

Bri

Oh my! Anybody as experience with them? They could be a real lifesaver..
E(B,C)CxxMMWD.jpg

I once pondered a niche product intended for a 15 pin/0.156" centers 500 (API style) frame and ran across the Sullins male  connectors.  Sullins was quite helpful and sent me a sample that fit perfectly into a 500 series backplane.  IIRC the pricing was $13 or $20 apiece at 10 quantity from the factory.  Very high quality sample!!

Digikey has some of those males in stock.  It all depends on what contact spacing and numbers of contacts to see if DK has something useful.

I don't know if the link below is specific to "me" due to my search, or if it works for everyone:

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/connectors-interconnects/card-edge-connectors-edgeboard-connectors/303?k=edge+connector&k=&pkeyword=edge+connector&sv=0&pv29=371147&sf=0&FV=-8%7C303%2C-1%7C35&quantity=&ColumnSort=0&page=1&pageSize=25

Just search DK for edge connector, select Sullins and "male" to drill down.

Bri

Brian Roth said:
I once pondered a niche product intended for a 15 pin/0.156" centers 500 (API style) frame and ran across the Sullins male  connectors.  Sullins was quite helpful and sent me a sample that fit perfectly into a 500 series backplane.  IIRC the pricing was $13 or $20 apiece at 10 quantity from the factory.  Very high quality sample!

Well I'm curious to see what others have to say about them, but this is the best "news" of the month so far for me!

On a different matter, this is a general question, one that might sound stupid but I'll ask it anyway.
I found this in a Neve technical manual.
n5AE5l1.png

Is it an in-factory convention that was adopted by Neve and which applies to each and every balanced connection in the console, or is it common and general practice? To avoid ground loops, I suppose?

So for example, if I have this signal path: XLR in > routing module connector> XLR out, I would ground the screen at the XLR on the way in and at the module connector on the way out. Is that correct?

It is important to remember that the screen of a balanced lead is a screen. it is not a ground and it is not a signal carrying conductor. Its purpose is to screen the wires inside from electrostatic interference. At some point it needs to be connected to all the other screening metalwork which includes the main frame of the mixer and all the modules' metalwork i.e to the chassis. For it to act as a screen it only needs to be connected at one end so it forms an equipotential. If you connect it to chassis at both ends it should not create hum loops.

From the point of view of the cable, the idea is to extend the screening of the chassis into close proximity of the cable so that other unscreened signals inside the chassis (e.g. bus bar feeds) to not interfere with it.

I am not sure if the scheme in your picture was a Neve standard or not. However, there was a lot of misunderstanding of screening and grounding in those days specially when it came to broadcast systems. Neve installed many system close to powerful transmitters and often had to supervise a re-wiring of a studio to keep rf out of the system.  my understanding is that balanced cable screens work better at rf is connected to chassis at one end only. I don't know why.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back