Neve 80 series Console Build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those old Ericsson switches are really nice,

I worked on an 8036 in the 70s and the Ericsson switches were Daja VU.  The detail and tracking of original parts is beyond words.  Just a lovely build.

Winston O'Boogie said:
P.S.  Kudos to Sasarist in Serbia too  :)

Extra extra kudos to Sasa... This project just wouldn't have happened at all without him. I love you, brother!!

squarewave said:
That room is crazy sweet. I just hope there's a bathroom nearby because I'd have to pee every time I walked in there.
Hahaha  fortunately it's just round the corner!!

Whoops said:
Serbian members, Sasarist and Moby do amazing stuff, I don't know it it's the food out there or the air...
But Serbia Rocks!!!!!!!!
Where is the "like" button? ;) Congrats to Remi and Sasha. You nailed it!

Just saw the bad news

index.php

Attachments

• E1C21919-BA82-4A99-9D42-D0FA024796A7.png
    E1C21919-BA82-4A99-9D42-D0FA024796A7.png
    397.4 KB · Views: 429
ruffrecords said:
I just wanted to say welcome to the "I've built a big mixer or two" club.

Cheers

Ian
Thank you so much, Ian! And thank you so much for all the help along the way!

r2d2 said:
about the psu ,  it is as the vintage Neve ?

The PSU is the standard INTERNATIONAL POWER IF24-12. This type of power supply has been used for decades with vintage Neve consoles! I considered sourcing a vintage Coutant PSU at some point, but I figured it didn't make much sense...

remsouille said:
I considered sourcing a vintage Coutant PSU at some point, but I figured it didn't make much sense...

There's much better modern PSU's nowadays. And also much more efficient, the electricity bill in the end of the year is quite high with the older PSU's

Whoops said:
There's much better modern PSU's nowadays. And also much more efficient, the electricity bill in the end of the year is quite high with the older PSU's

You mean more efficient than a coutant or than a IP one? The current draw on those single ended consoles is not huge anyway, so I guess it doesn't make that big of a difference... On bigger IC based consoles, it certainly does, of course!

remsouille said:
You mean more efficient than a coutant or than a IP one? The current draw on those single ended consoles is not huge anyway, so I guess it doesn't make that big of a difference... On bigger IC based consoles, it certainly does, of course!

I was talking about the Coutant, I don't know the IP

remsouille said:

What is the current draw of your console? Or does anyone know the typical current draw per channel for a Neve vs SSL? I would think the Neve would be more, as it's single ended and running in Class A.

The console and studio both look top notch.

john12ax7 said:
What is the current draw of your console? Or does anyone know the typical current draw per channel for a Neve vs SSL? I would think the Neve would be more, as it's single ended and running in Class A.

For an SSL 4K :

"Some typical values would be: 4048 - 1700 Watts, a 4040 – 1500 Watts, a 4056 – 1900 Watts. "

https://www.recycledaudio.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/SystemPower.pdf

For a Neve 80xx, with the typical 1073 or 1084 modules I don't know.

People used to leave large format consoles on 24/7, the electrical bill including the AC needed was really high.
Nowadays I know a lot of people that turn SSL consoles off when they finish work. They turn the channel buckets off one at a time and then the PSUs, when they turn back it on they do the opposite sequence to put less strain on the PSU at power on, it seems to work pretty well so probably the myth that you should never turn off a large format console was not true (although it was a common procedure)

john12ax7 said:

You can average 100ma per module, so around 6 amps for the whole console. What I meant is that it doesn't get hot. Which has the biggest impact on the bill: no need for AC!!

Latest posts

Back