SSL 542 EQ's

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siegfried Meier

Hey guys,

I picked this DIY rack up last year at Sam Ash and got a great price on it, mostly because of the DIY nature.  I used it for a few months, and noticed that the XLR's were never connected (looks like it wasn't balanced, and just the TS 1/4" were connected) and have decided to install some of the SSL balancing boards that Gustav was manufacturing.  In the meantime, something's happened to it and the PSU now shuts down whenever I fire it up (I haven't modified anything to it just yet).  I noticed inside the DIY PSU that there's 2 little transformers.  If I have to, I'll just build up another brand new PSU, but I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what exactly this thing needs 2 transformers for, and any other info they can provide.

Thanks and much appreciated!
Sig

SSL%20542.jpg

SSL%20542%20Inside.jpg

SSL%20542%20PSU.jpg

First of all, are you sure it's PSU fault?
You should disconnect your PSU from the unit and check the voltages. If it works, leave it working for 10 minutes and monitor if it will shutdown.
Maybe it is okay, but it's something in the unit that's causing regulators to shutdown. Could be a short of some kind.

Almost positive it's the PSU at this point - I think I'm gonna try building a new PSU from scratch.

Can't seem to find any SL542 schematics anywhere - only 552...does anyone have this?

I also don't seem to understand the following that I was sent regarding the PSU - I've done some logic controlled PSU's but they've always been just the regular 5v:

SSL normally run the 5v rail attached to the -18v rail so it makes a -23v rail. -23v is technically the 0v and -18v is the 5v for the logic. It can be disconnected and run separately in some SSL modules as 5v. But some modules need it run at -23v for fet switching etc to work.

Ok, so the +18v rail reg was bad - I replaced and it's good.  R14 is still burning up though, as it was when I got them.

Anyone know what R14 does in this eqs?  It works fine seemingly...

Thanks!
Sig

Latest posts

Back