CCIR Alignment?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutonestudios

I have an otari mx-80 that i've always wanted to try aligning to ccir standards as opposed to nab (just to see how different it sounds). is anybody aware of an easy way to do this without having to go out and buy a ccir tone tape?

It's possible to do it with an NAB tape, there are fairly detailed instructions in the MRL documentation that comes with their tapes. I don't know if you can find it online, but they do say it's possible.

Zach

yeah, i realize that the best way to do it would be with the ccir alignment tape, but was hoping there would be a way to "fake it" with an NAB tape just to get an idea of what it sounds like.... in the recording studio handbook by john woram there is a little graph that shows the emphasis differences, but i'm having kind of a hard time interpreting it... i do rememebr reading something a while back (i think by jack endino) talking about how with some machines, the values had to be changed on each card for the hf gain!! thats more trouble than i want to go through... i'll check out the mrl site though.

I didnt realize you could fake it with an NAB tape, I thougth the HF EQ was at a different frequency?

You for sure, however, need CCIR EQ's in your machine. Some machines have a little switch that changes the EQ, other machines you have to install the plugin EQ's or modify your NAB EQ's.

dave

CCIR (aka IEC, IEC 1, DIN) sounds much more neutral in the bass. I really prefer it for most things.

I'm pretty sure an MX-80 has EQ switches on all of the channel cards. Go to the MRL website and download the pdf called "Choosing ans Using MRL tapes". If I recall correctly there is a compensation table around page 7 or so. That is a really excellent paper and you should read all of it. Jay McKnight has written tons of fabulous papers and there are at least a dozen on that site if you scroll down.

very cool, thanks for the info! has anyone tried this and compared the differences in sounds? just curious to hear some opinions...

Back