Mic loses signal when I touch it

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonallenh

Just as the subject says... I have an old Electro-Voice 630, and when I touch it, it cuts out as if I've hit a switch. Otherwise it's fine. It's currently wired to a TS connector in the standard hi-z wiring. I'm clearly missing something obvious...

Not very obvious but the human body will look like a small capacitance connected vaguely to earth.

If touching the body of the mic kills the signal, can I ASSume the body of the mic is not bonded to ground (sleeve of tip-sleeve).

I suspect a bad (weak) connection inside and the human capacitance is acting like a shunt but this is just a WAG.

JR

> in the standard hi-z wiring.

They don't do that when wired right. So yours is clearly NOT wired "standard". Figure out what is different. Could be an internal fault.

These are all very useful clues. Something non-standard has been done because the connector that the above documents mention (to switch from hi z to low z) is gone and some very shoddy wiring took its place.

Back