XLR / TRS / Balanced / Unbalanced Questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckD

Just wanted to get this straight before screwing it up.

1. How does a TRS connector map to an XLR connection?

Is this correct:
Tip = XLR 2
Ring = XLR 3
Sleve = XLR 1

2. If someone only wanted to work with UnBalanced Output then can he hook directly into the TRS connection with a 1/4" Unbalanced jack?

I want to offer both balanced and unbalanced (XLR and 1/4") connections.

3. Just a poll... Where did you put the input relative to the output on the rear panel?

Thanks

_Chuck

3. Put the input right next to the output.
I know it seems wrong, feedback, etc, but what this does is cut down on the flux loop formed by having a big cross sectional area relative to input and output.
Noise from extraneous fields, 60 cycle, etc, is a dirct function of the amount of area the flux cuts.
By putting the in next to out, you keep this ring of wire (not a Johnny Cash song) to a minimum.
cj

Funny story, My boss had a new engineer working for him that Refused to do it this way, arguing with every concievable piece of evidence he could come up with for keeping in away from out.
Finally, my boss said "Just do it this way or your outta here!". He did, and the amp was as quiet as a mouse!
:guinness:

So if you have a stereo unit it's better to have each input-output pair closer together than grouping the inputs and outputs together?

That's a funny story CJ!

Yeah, I know those kind of people... hotshot fresh graduates, new engineers that think they'll save the world and that we should thank them that we're in their holy presence.

Once, our company was interviewing engineers for entry-level work. One guy has been successfully smooching with the principals in our company (they were ready to hire this guy!). But first, he has to pass my proficiency test. it's time for some real-world tests. I made the test, the questions, and gave him a PC and the papers. I told him, take his time. (In reality, the test can be answered in 5 minutes by someone knowledgeable.... after 1.5 hours, he's still working on the problem... after 2 hours, I came to see him to tell him "Time is up!" but he wasn't at the desk... I asked our receptionist where did the applicant go? She said... "Oh, he left and walked out the door."

Latest posts

Back