WA 87 vs. AA CM87

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weiss

Hey ho. recently i bought the advanced audio cm87 from dave because i wanted an upgrade to my akg perception 220 i used until now. I must say, i am very pleased for the moment.
When i changed to the new mic i heard a big difference regarding high sibilants as well as the more mid-tone sound compared to my old mic. It really captures the midrange I was looking for. I saw that warm audio started selling an u87 reissue some time ago, claiming to aim for the sound of the original. I am asking myself if anyone here tried it out already and if it is worth the additioinal 400€. Would we hear like a huge difference between the WA87 and the CM87?
The WA features a K87 capsule and a CineMag trafo whereas the CM87 has a K67 capsule. It would be nice if someone could lay it out for me!
greets

The idea here is to DIY (e.g. a U87) of course, but you may get some useful anwers nonetheless.  ;)

From what I understand you like Dave's CM87. So you may want to keep it.
You could use the extra money to get something different to keep it company.
Here's a shootout that has Dave's CM87 as well as his new CM48T (tube mic under $600) a CM414 and a Neumann TLM103.
http://advancedaudio.ca/pages/aa-mic-shootout-with-cm48t-cm87-cm414-vs-neumann-tlm103

Should you still want to look at the WA87, I'd look at the Stam Audio SA87 first.  The latter has fellow member poctop's PCB (original U87 circuit), fellow member's Tskguy's capsule and the choice between a Cinemag or Sowter tranny.

My experience is that if you have a nice u87(I have) those clones are still far away compared to the original,and I think it is the capsule that makes the difference

Back