Tube Attempt

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Adam, I don't understand your setup, but generally for such a low B+ voltage, I would use an ECC86, 12U7 or a 12AU7.  A B+ of 24V would be better. Cheers Thorsten

80hinhiding said:
Not entirely sure I wired the transformer correctly for dual rails, it's not numbered or color coded, but on the 56VAC CT transformer mentioned earlier I connected the two middle terminals on the primary side together.  Hooked +120 up to one of the outside terminals, and ground to the middle.  On the secondary side I did the same thing by connecting the two middle terminals.  Black wire to one of the outer terminals, and white wire to the middle.  I get a reading of 34VAC between either outer terminal and the middle terminal.
The secondary side is fine, but the primary is not. The reason it has two primaries is because it can be connected two different ways depending on the input voltage.

You talk about the AC power connection as if it was a DC signal. It most definitely is not. There is no +120 and ground. The connections are called Live and Neutral. Neutral is not the same as ground! In addition there is a protective earth/ground connection, which you should absolutely NOT connect to any of the primary windings.

A) For 120V AC input, connect the primaries in parallel. 1 and 3 is connected together, and so is 2 and 4. Live is connected to one side, and neutral to the other.
B) For 230V AC input, connect the primaries in series. 2 and 3 is connected together, and live/neutral goes to the two outer connections, 1 and 4.

Latest posts

Back