Wealth Inequality in America

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's incredible that so many people in the country are in the dark about it.

...and I call  "class warfare" being posted soon...    ;D

The true inequality in the US is how "rich" people and "poor" people educate their children. My usage of rich and poor have very little to do with a measure of monetary wealth.
How many people will watch the googletube video and think "yeah!" , having never spent a few hours reading The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin?  There are even Versions without capitalized Nouns that are less confusing to newer readers & c. . .

sodderboy said:
The true inequality in the US is how "rich" people and "poor" people educate their children. My usage of rich and poor have very little to do with a measure of monetary wealth.
How many people will watch the googletube video and think "yeah!" , having never spent a few hours reading The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin?  There are even Versions without capitalized Nouns that are less confusing to newer readers & c. . .
It isn't just wealthy who value education...  I heard one statistic recently about outperformance of  asian children in the US school system that didn't seem correlated to parents income. More likely parents who kicked their kid's ass if they didn't study hard and do well in school. 

JR

PS: The sad thing about learning history from youtube videos is it rarely tells the whole story and can suffer from selective bias.  BF's autobiography if anything was biased by the writer.  ;D (I read it). I also enjoyed the biography of Henry Ford.

Your loss, smart guy. Twitter is full of hilarious people, and the news is intantaneous.

Does this mean anything to you?

https://twitter.com/JamesArkin/status/843896952400109568

Just scrolling through the first couple of posts (they are probably called something else in Im-so-important-land-PLS-LOOK-AT-ME) makes me want to trash my monitor because of the limitations, vanity and sheer stupidity of this medium.  The pretentiousness of the average twitter user is just unbearable, no coincidence Mr. T likes using it (also, 140 characters might just be the personal limit to mash together for somebody suffering from dyslexia).

GORSUCH is Trump's nominee for the supreme court of the united states. The seat on the supreme court is vacant because the republicans refused to confirm Obama's pick GARLAND for the empty seat that ocurred on Obama's watch when Scalia died, for a year until after Obama's term was over.

They ran out the clock to screw Obama out of the pick, and now Trump has it. Unless the democrats block his nominees like the republicans did to Obama. Justice Ginsberg is really old, so that may be two during Trump's term (there are nine total, 8 now). BENNET is a democrat senator who will be voting either up or down on GORSUCH.

I see now that you're on the other side of the planet so you might not know any of that, but it is fairly important over here.

volker said:
Just scrolling through the first couple of posts (they are probably called something else in Im-so-important-land-PLS-LOOK-AT-ME) makes me want to trash my monitor because of the limitations, vanity and sheer stupidity of this medium.  The pretentiousness of the average twitter user is just unbearable, no coincidence Mr. T likes using it (also, 140 characters might just be the personal limit to mash together for somebody suffering from dyslexia).

Where's the like button?....

I'd like to add ADHD to "dyslexia" though....

What does the dyslexic, agnostic person suffering from insomnia do?

He lies awake all night wondering if there's a dog.....

tands said:
GORSUCH is Trump's nominee for the supreme court of the united states. The seat on the supreme court is vacant because the republicans refused to confirm Obama's pick GARLAND for the empty seat that occurred on Obama's watch when Scalia died, for a year until after Obama's term was over.

They ran out the clock to screw Obama out of the pick, and now Trump has it. Unless the democrats block his nominees like the republicans did to Obama. Justice Ginsberg is really old, so that may be two during Trump's term (there are nine total, 8 now). BENNET is a democrat senator who will be voting either up or down on GORSUCH.

I see now that you're on the other side of the planet so you might not know any of that, but it is fairly important over here.
Agree ++ wow, tands you and I actually agree on something.
Republicans need 8 Dems to vote for closure - and Schumer already said a filibuster is going to happen.  It won't get to a up-down vote anytime soon. Completely justified and I disagree on the "two wrongs don't make a right". You don't let cheaters win, otherwise they are just rewarded for their behavior. Republican's over Obama's term showed unprecedented obstruction and opposition.  And there's plenty of cover for a filibuster with the Republican disarray on health care, the FBI investigating ESPIONAGE of the sitting President, and the coming debt ceiling.
I don't dislike Gorsuch a whole lot based on his 'performance' the past couple days, but it's really meaningless. You don't know until they're on the court what they will be like.  If another justice retires in the meantime, the court is odd again and will be able to make binding split decisions. Not a big deal.
I'm not a fan of twitter either, but it's necessary to be tuned in a bit to stay up on current events.
An interesting tidbit, the Obama administration asked twitter to avoid any downtime during major events of the Arab Spring a few years ago, as it was a key platform for information exchange.
Still they can't figure  out how to make money as a business.... they have never turned a profit.

dmp said:
You don't let cheaters win, otherwise they are just rewarded for their behavior.

Amen to that, Comrade! That's obviously not what the democrats believe though, as we've seen. I hate to break your heart, but watch Schumer and the democrats roll over in the next month (week?).

The Supreme Court ruling for Czyzewski v. Jevic Holding Corp. is just in, and it’s a rare and important ruling against bankruptcy-court-enabled private equity chicanery. We’ve attached the short and readable ruling at the end of this post.

A ruse that private equity firms have increasingly used when companies they own are about to go bust is to fire workers upon failure of the company, as opposed to giving them a 60 day notice as required by state and federal state and federal Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Acts. The failure to make the WARN Act mandated payments makes workers creditors to the bankrupt estate, sitting below secured creditors but above unsecured creditors in the order of priority of payment stipulated in the Bankruptcy Code. It also potentially sets up a fraudulent conveyance suit against the former company owners. Fraudulent conveyance occurs when an owner pulls money out of a business even though they know it is going to go bust. Since the owners are at the very bottom of the bankruptcy priority hierarchy, they have ripped off the creditors to their benefit. It’s not hard to see how this regularly happens with private equity owned firms, since they will often have paid monitoring and other fees to themselves even as the company is on death’s door.

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2017/03/supreme-court-decides-workers-private-equity-important-bankruptcy-case-jevic.html

I love how kids today are learning history and government from twitter... :eek:

btw it's called cloture
definition said:
The cloture rule–Rule 22–is the only formal procedure that Senate rules provide for breaking a filibuster.

In 2007 Sen Shumer rather famously came out in favor of blocking any of Bush's SCOTUS appointments when he was in the democratic majority during Bush's second term.  Then flip-flopped back against the republicans blocking Garland, now he is back again in full block mode.

This is just team politics... nothing unusual to see here.

NBC (fake) news claimed the garland delay (block) was the longest in history, but there were several much longer delays back in the 19th century.

The real issue or dispute about SCOTUS justices is "originalist" (like Gorsuch) or the liberal trend of justices that think the constitution evolves and should be interpreted based on modern culture...(it doesn't evolve, that's why there are amendments so we can vote changes to the constitution. ).

I considered Garland when it looked like Hillary would win and he doesn't have much of a track record wrt interpreting the constitution.  He was looking like a lesser evil to approve if Hillary won an could have appointed somebody even more liberal/progressive, but we fortuitously dodged that decision. Goresuch will be closer to Scalia than Garland bringing the court almost back to it's recent balance.

Of course the SCOTUS appointments are extremely important and the dominant reason why I voted against Hillary.  The supreme court will affect this country for several decades, long after Trump (and I) take dirt naps.

JR

PS: I bought a small amount of Twitter stock as a trade, gambling that some real company will buy them... right now they have a half time CEO doing a half__ss job. I could see somebody like Disney buying them to roll into ESPN.

Latest posts

Back