Is this SSL "stuff" still good

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r2d2

Have found  some ssl module for sale as in the attached image ,
good working condition ,

it can be a "today" good sound-money value ?

how much would be a right price to pay ?

thanks
r.

jasonallenh said:
More of a broadcast-console type pre. I would keep looking.

They was in the SSL consoles E series (6K-8K) and later as option on the 4000 series
replaced by IC (.....infamous....)
i do not why , weight ? .....price  ?
(1 transformer cost as 50 ICs ,but sound not the same , .....more gain for manufacturer)

somebody have made some comparison with other preamps ?
(SSL and different brand)

r

from the web

The SL615E pre amp was available in two versions.

The first was designed to directly interface with the small faders on a 4000 console, thus doubling the the number of available Mic pre inputs for live broadcast.

The other version had 10 Mic pres and a Mix module and served as an outboard submixer.

Primarily they found their way into broadcast.

Significantly it was intended as a Mic pre "upgrade" for older consoles.

It was based around a Jensen trafo and gave about 75dB of gain.

Back in the day 'transformerless' was a hip thing and - at least in my environment - the transformer pres were regarded as outdated. Especially by those people who laughed at me when I brought in the first V76... So flavors can change, maybe they are actually more interesting today then they were back then because with tape and everything additional coloration might have been too much?

The circuit should be simple, I guess you could also easily play around with different opamps.

Michael

Michael Tibes said:
Back in the day 'transformerless' was a hip thing and - at least in my environment - the transformer pres were regarded as outdated. Especially by those people who laughed at me when I brought in the first V76... So flavors can change, maybe they are actually more interesting today then they were back then because with tape and everything additional coloration might have been too much?
....Michael
I.m.h.o. the " Ics" are a way to make very much gain (in money terms)

comfortables in space and cost for any type of  consumer electronic devices (audio,video,home appliances,etc...)
and so much more  with the  smd type ....

also true that the "Ics" have allowed to build mid and low cost mixing consoles and  sound processors ,
allowing the access to a mid-large consoles and sound processors (compressors,gates, eq, fxs, etc...)
for those who had (and have) smaller budgets (studios, live pa, broadcast )

though i.m.h.o. in the "pro" range , charge something like  50000,00 - 90000,00 and more "bucks"
for a full ics type mixing console seems more a way to make so much money  ,
rather  than a honest value for money (and sound quality level too..)
expecially in the 80' and 90' years .......

but in that years the "plague" of mp3 and the downloads still do not exist...
and thanks to the "anti piracy" vinyls and tapes the possible gains from sales allowed to pay "that" technologies
much more than a right value ,

technologies (new and used) that today value is between few hundred and few thousand bucks ......
(thanks to mp3, downloads, piracy & co.  ? )

Back about  the sound "factor" :
With today no "flavor" ADA converters  digital poor "smooth" , aliasing and other more apart ,
the transformers "revenge" win 

We can say that the good sound is : Electromagnetic  ?
(thermionic tubes apart)

cheers

These SSL micpre's are very decent pre amps, but they're not something really spectacular.

I wouldn't spend more than 125 euro per micpre, so, 250 euro for a module would be the max. It's not something plug and play, you'd have to rack these which costs money and time, you'd have to take that into account as well.

helterbelter said:
These SSL micpre's are very decent pre amps, but they're not something really spectacular.

I wouldn't spend more than 125 euro per micpre, so, 250 euro for a module would be the max. It's not something plug and play, you'd have to rack these which costs money and time, you'd have to take that into account as well.

have you done some tracking with them ?
thanks
r.

r2d2 said:
have you done some tracking with them ?
thanks
r.

I have tracked with SSL 501's, which are the same pres but with lo and hi cut filters, inserts, and additional line input. They're honestly very good mic pres, but as said, they're not thát special. They're clean and accurate , but without colour.

If you're Purusha indeed, and are looking if these interesting for cloning : It says SSL, so it should attract some people. But I think the Expat Eden gives a similar result for the price of the Jensen transformer alone, so....

Well... Just my 2 cts.

helterbelter said:
I have tracked with SSL 501's, which are the same pres but with lo and hi cut filters, inserts, and additional line input. They're honestly very good mic pres, but as said, they're not thát special. They're clean and accurate , but without colour.

If you're Purusha indeed, and are looking if these interesting for cloning : It says SSL, so it should attract some people. But I think the Expat Eden gives a similar result for the price of the Jensen transformer alone, so....

Well... Just my 2 cts.

Well, he didn't defend himself so I'd take for granted he's Purusha.
Sad though...

Kingston said:
r2d2 == purusha

he never left

Ah!

I wonder how long it will take for this thread to be referenced in an Ebay listing. "Look at what professionals have to say about these SSL NEVER API modules."  ;D

Back