IPC AM-1065 transformers = UTC ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beatnik

I have been looking at a pair of IPC AM-1065 tube preamp modules

The audio transformers are stamped with FP-3427 and FP-3428

Searched on the forum and someone posted pictures of a similar model by IPC with UTC HA-100x and A-25 transformers

I was wondering if you have any information on these FP- transformers ?

I was hoping for a pinout and some information on the windings if possible, the ones I've seen don't have anything on them

Also, just so I'm clear, I have the other IPC preamps mentioned here but one of my Ha-100x is damaged
Are you saying the FP-3427/8's are a suitable replacement?

Most of the FP-3427s I’ve seen are made by Freed, not UTC.  I have had IPC products in my saved searches on evilbay for a few years, and have seen a lot come through over that time.

if the top of the transformer case looks somewhat like a UTC A-series transformer, then UTC probably made them. The ones with a circular groove on the top of the case are made by Freed.

Functionally the same, but if you’re specifically after what you suspect to be an OEM labeled HA-100x. then note the difference.

Ok thanks for the info

Ultimately I just want it to sound the same, would that be the case?

I have no experience with either IPC transformer, so I can't tell you for certain that they sound the same. They were made to the same specification, but there are often differences between similarly spec'ed transformers made by different companies. I can tell you that I've used off-the-shelf PGA, PMA and QGA series Freed transformers in several units, and they sound very good.

Here's a Freed catalog from 1966. Though less well-known  than UTC, Freed made some very good broadcast quality units.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kX_xuYNaw_IDw9yM7nPez_TQNg8YX5WV/view?usp=sharing

Ah cool I'll have a read through, thanks

When I say the same, sound I just mean in general

So for instance, could the difference between these Freeds and the UTC be likened to the difference between Marinair/st Ives/Carnhill in a Neve?
In that they were commissioned by Neve to make transformer to a spec and the differences end up being ultimately subjective

Do you have a pinout for these? Or do you know what it where?
The HA-100x has a lot more terminals than the FR 3247 I'm looking at and I'm not sure which ones the windings are on

Back