Klark Teknik buys Mnats pcb's, Purusha cases and joins GroupDIY

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whoops

GDIY Supporter
I've been using Klark Teknik gear in live sound for a long time.
Great equipment, quality and features.

Now Uli from Germany owns it and he has a new plan foer the company:

http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Klarkteknik/Signal-Processors/Compressors-Limiters/1176-KT/p/P0BR3

http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Klarkteknik/Signal-Processors/Equalizers/EQP-KT/p/P0BR4

Would love to know your opinions and comments...

Purusha case image from :
http://www.diy-racked.com/diy-talk/viewtopic.php?t=18&f=7

An electronics manufacturer could take the publicly available 1176 schematic and whip up a PCB in no time.
Is there any basis to the thread title?

dmp said:
An electronics manufacturer could take the publicly available 1176 schematic and whip up a PCB in no time.
I can't speak to the products mention in this thread, but Behringer has been making lots of noise in the synth industry in the last month or so, announcing a $400-or-so Minimoog clone, and CoolAudio (wholly owned by Behringer) announcing it will remake several of the SSM and CEM synthesizer chips that were popular in the first polysynths, and (in addition to using them in future Behringer products) sell these chips to other manufacturers. So far it looks like lots of announcements only, there's no telling if or when all this stuff will come true.

Here's a relevant thread/post:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12508102-post6.html

dmp said:

Yes of course, it's called "Humour", this section is the Brewery

Klark Teknik was known for great quality and products, now it's becoming slowly in another cloner company.

benb said:
..............Behringer has been making lots of noise in the synth industry in the last month or so, announcing a $400-or-so Minimoog clone, and CoolAudio (wholly owned by Behringer) announcing it will remake several of the SSM and CEM synthesizer chips .........

Chinese low cost workers/slaves are highly dangerous for the Human Dignity and all economies......
they need protection for a "Union" ...... but seem that only another "revolution" can help them ......

they are not the only companies making clones...

Seems like warm audio's entire product line is clones.  From what I have seen in pro audio lately, few companies are doing their own thing. The company I work for is one of them, there are a few others.  But for the rest of the folks it seems like audio has become

compressors with fets =1176(knockoff)
Stereo compressor using VCA(Gssl knock off)
eq(eqp1a)
mic pre with discrete opamp(API 312 knock off)

Then there are some companies that quasi-copy  things, like it's an 312 style mic pre but their own doa or claim of their own doa.

Now their are exceptions such as the company who owns the IP has changed ownership.  but for the most part people seem more content in buying a flavor of a copy by "insert company here" vs investing in new things.

r2d2 said:
Chinese low cost workers/slaves are highly dangerous for the Human Dignity and all economies......
they need protection for a "Union" ...... but seem that only another "revolution" can help them ......

Most are from extremely poor peasant families. The conditions they live in and the money they earn working for electronics companies is way better than where they came from. Most live well and are able to send money home to improve life for their family. Their wages are a pittance by western standards but everything is relative.

Cheers

Ian

pucho812 said:
.......  From what I have seen in pro audio lately, few companies are doing their own thing. The company I work for is one of them, there are a few others. 

I do not mean to blow our own trumpet but we are one of them, obviously.

But for the rest of the folks it seems like audio has become

eq(eqp1a)

Indeed.

And when there is such demand some companies or even individuals will respond to it. This forum is probably the best example of such demand and supply.

pucho812 said:

Seems like warm audio's entire product line is clones. 
I recall reading somewhere that that's the official business model, to make and sell chips that have already been designed and sold elsewhere.
From what I have seen in pro audio lately, few companies are doing their own thing. The company I work for is one of them, there are a few others.  But for the rest of the folks it seems like audio has become

eq(eqp1a)

Then there are some companies that quasi-copy  things, like it's an 312 style mic pre but their own doa or claim of their own doa.

Now their are exceptions such as the company who owns the IP has changed ownership.  but for the most part people seem more content in buying a flavor of a copy by "insert company here" vs investing in new things.
That big international business is taking copying to a new level, with cost-reduced mass-market items.

But from the buyer's perspective ... I wonder if there's a name for this, such as the "SM-57 effect." I was just reading another thread Over There about it still being the live sound go-to vocal mic. The idea is "get something that's tried and true, we can't risk something new even if it turns out to be better." I was involved in setting up a coffee house 20 years ago, and even back then it was "get SM-57s, that's what all the singers are used to. They'll feel at home."

I like the 'midas transformer' advertisement. Since when midas made their own transformers? In most of their design, the transformer option is Neutrik nt1...

benb said:
I wonder if there's a name for this, such as the "SM-57 effect." I was just reading another thread Over There about it still being the live sound go-to vocal mic. The idea is "get something that's tried and true, we can't risk something new even if it turns out to be better." I was involved in setting up a coffee house 20 years ago, and even back then it was "get SM-57s, that's what all the singers are used to. They'll feel at home."

I think all the cloning shows  distinct lack of creativity, but is understandable. There is something to be said for proven designs. For beginners it's a good lesson to learn your stuff sounds no better with the good stuff than with the bad stuff.  An SM57 (58) is an original proven design. When musicians walk in and they see stuff they are familiar with it puts them at ease.  I'm having trouble thinking of a mic that is better in that situation. Sure there are more Hi Fi options but they all come with large down sides like worse gain before feedback or not taking years of abuse.

pucho812 said:

Seems like warm audio's entire product line is clones.  From what I have seen in pro audio lately, few companies are doing their own thing. The company I work for is one of them, there are a few others.  But for the rest of the folks it seems like audio has become

Right,
although that was never the case with Klark Teknik, unfortunately now that is owned by Behringer  they just decided to use the "Klark Teknik" brand name for behringer more expenive clones. It's sad that probably companies like Midas and Klark Teknik will just be used for re-branded cloned products that would not sell as good with the Behringer name on the front panel.

john12ax7 said:
I'm not quite sure of your thread title. Aren't they just doing their own spin on the reissue craze, like many other companies?

Exactly my opinion. But why purusha case? i mean, that's just how any 1176 reissue from any company looks like. i don't see the connection..

But after all my guess is, these clones will die. To be successful you'll have to offer one of the following things:

- either you offer cheap products, which they aren't - compared to the warm audio or any other reissues (699€ vs. 699€)
- you make something unique (some new cool feature for example) which makes your product stand out of the crowd (also not the case, except for different transformers..)

i see no difference to any other clones so why would exactly should i go for that one? just a thought...

pucho812 said:
Seems like warm audio's entire product line is clones.  From what I have seen in pro audio lately, few companies are doing their own thing.
As other's have said, it isn't a choice companies are forcing on anyone, they are responding to what consumers want.
Custom original gear has less buyers.
That being said, there has been innovative technology, it's just not on the radar of people who build analog gear. plugins, autotune, etc...

Now IGS on the other hand...
How come we never discuss IGS?
It looks like nearly half their line is GDIY projects.  Are they Igor in Polish clothing?

Back