Boss CE-1 Chorus repair

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unit7

I've had this non working box lying here for years and finally opened it up today to find a lot of leaking caps, both electrolytics and mylar films, so I'll replace them all

Two questions:
- Should I avoid skin contact with the leaked liquid?
- Is there any specific brand/model polyester film cap you would recommend for replacing the original green mylar film caps?

Grateful for any advice

JohnRoberts said:
Mylar (film) caps don't have any liquid electrolyte to leak.

That photo appears to show some adhesive to hold parts in place.

JR

Thanks a bunch for your reply JR, and sorry for my ignorance..
Time to grab the tracer :)

That yellow goop is yellow goop they use to glue the caps down so they don't shake-off.

Even if it was electrolytic cap leakage, no great danger. If a soup-can electrolytic blew-up, don't save it up and soak in it, wash your hands after handling. But possibly less "danger" than salad vinegar.

Find the real problem. "Don't work" is not even a clue, and no excuse to do more damage wantonly replacing happy caps.

PRR is spot on. I don't see any bulging electrolytics in that pic. Inject signal and start tracing.

Thanks for the education. Appreciated.
Last time I used it was like 7-8 yrs ago so I'm not sure I remember correctly, but I believe I only heard the chorused signal (not the dry), and also when stomping the switches and when moving it, it sometimes made a VERY loud crackling noise.

Back