[BUILD] Heathkit IT-1121 transistor curve tracer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ilya

After a long search for a suitable curve tracer circuits I've settled on the old one from Heathkit. The circuit is pretty simple, although some parts are obsolete and I'll have to  find a replacement for them.

The power transformer is used to power both low voltage and high voltage parts of the circuit. I've marked the voltages on the schematic. For HV part my simulator shows that I need 80V CT in order to get 50V p-p after rectifier, and 300V CT in order to get 240V p-p. In the specs they say that the device can deliver 1A@40V and 200mA@240V, so I beleive that specifying [email protected] and [email protected] should be sufficient. However, I'd appreciate any thoughts on this matter.

As for replacement parts, here's what I'm going to use:
1N2071 -> 1N4007
FT123 -> BD159
TA7520 -> FJL6920TU

This beast has quite a lot of switches, all rotaries are 2-deck which is not convenient and expensive. Luckily, at least 2 of these switches can be substituted with 1-deck and additional resistors (like SW4 and SW7). I'm planning to substitute the SW6 with a copule of 3-pos toggle switches. SW8 looks like it should be able to carry HV and high current, so the only way of resolving this (and still have some $$$ left) is to use a bank of relays operated by a cheap Lorlin switch. The whole asembly should cost ~ 20-25$ which is not that bad.

SW4 seems to carry some HV and high current as well. I was looking at some cheap C&K switches that claim to carry 2.5A@125VAC and 350mA@125VDC which may be sufficient. However, I'm thinking about substituting some positions with relays and using a cheaper Lorlin there to be safe.

As always, if anybody has any thoughts or suggestions, they are very welcome.
I'm going to update this thread when I have any news about the project.

Did a quick rough estimate of the parts. Here's what I calculated:
  • Electronic parts (Mouser) - 110-120 USD
  • Power TX - 30-40 USD
  • PCBs - 50 USD
  • Enclosure - 30-40 USD

This brings total costs to 250 USD, and + 50 USD as an extra cusion. 300 USD.

Hmmmm.... Maybe get an Analog Discovery instead?......

Ilya said:
Hmmmm.... Maybe get an Analog Discovery instead?......

Just in case, check the redpitaya, I like the idea, never used one. There's one on the same price range as the analog discovery (10b 125MS/s) Some interesting options, I like it as an overall development board which happens to be useful as portable instrument.

JS

joaquins said:
Just in case, check the redpitaya, I like the idea, never used one. There's one on the same price range as the analog discovery (10b 125MS/s) Some interesting options, I like it as an overall development board which happens to be useful as portable instrument.

Will take a look. I've examined the curve tracer program for AD2 and it's rather complicated. Will take quite a bit of time to find out what's going on.

gar381 said:
I got a NON functioning IT-1121........

PM sent

For 1/3 the money you're spending you could buy a peak Atlas DCA75 transistor tester which when hooked up to a computer does curve tracing.  Not sure if it has the exactly functionality you require but it's a very good box.

Rob Flinn said:
For 1/3 the money you're spending you could buy a peak Atlas DCA75 transistor tester which when hooked up to a computer does curve tracing.  Not sure if it has the exactly functionality you require but it's a very good box.

That's a really good device. I was thinking of getting it, but it's USB powered. This means it's limited in voltage and current (for ex. Zeners 9V@5mA max). If I need more I'll have to get another more powerful box.

Back