new york gets new zealand

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EKADEK

hi all .  greetings from new zealand.  I'm greg brice.  average kiwi.    special  HI!  to new york techs,  diy'ers, studio dudes, and inventors.  im in  'the apple'  for  ten  days from 19th  april  with my family . tuned for a  full new york immersion .  crazy indulgent madness.    we are staying in west village and i would like to meet up somehow with folks - visit  a workshop and studio , talk sh*t.  whatever is interesting.  ..ssoo …  im actually not creepy at all …
so please get in touch about that ok.

also  PLEASE  ---  ANY NEW YORK IN SPRING HOLIDAY TIPS ? 
thanks all.

I'm from NY originally but live in the friggin midwest now but everytime i brought out of town guests to the Natural History museum or the Metro Art Museum i remember how awesome those places are.  Slice of Ny located kitty corner from Tompkins is my favorite place to get a slice. The Chelsea is also not terribly expensive to stay at.  The Mars bar is an old hang out and last time i was there still had Rudimentary Peni on the jukebox. Doc Hollidays has a decent jukebox too and is fun for people watching.

thanks  for those tips.  becoming a list slowly.  please .. does anyone know where there is a modern gospel choir performing regularly.  church. hall . maybe a even a university or music school.  and accoustuc music bars. hifi bars.

The Highline is worth a walk if you are in the West Village. It starts just north.

I like walking over the Brooklyn Bridge. If you walk from Manhattan to Brooklyn you could hit the Brooklyn Heights Promenade. Great views of NY Harbor. Brooklyn Heights is all brownstones from the late 1800's and beautiful. They have public bike rentals which would be a good option.

The Whitney Museum is in the Meat Packing district near you. I haven't been yet but I'm sure it's good. The Natural History Museum is spectacular. The Met and MOMA are great. So are most of the Museums. A ride on the Staten Island Ferry is cheap and good.

New York is half-dead for me since the Rodeo Bar closed its doors...try the Red Lion's (Bleeker St.) Monday blues jam with Big Ed Sullivan.
Oh, and Peter Luger Steak House in Brooklyn (just cash, no plastic!).

Actually, Brooklyn has a TON of studios, venues, and restaurants as folks are getting priced out of Manhattan.  PM me if you would like to visit a  great three room facility (SSL, Neve, Neotek) with friendly folks !

I guess City Winery would be the premier acoustic music venue. There used to be The Living Room but it closed.

anyone been to the PALEY CENTER  for MEDIA . TV and RADIO. 25 west 52nd street. (btwn 5th and 6th street)
i love electronics and machine  museums.  power stations . 

I love taking friends in pedicabs down broadway thru Times Square, starting at 53rd or so. I'll take a subway uptown just to do it myself to finish off an early work day.
Night is better than day, but it is always a rush!

EKADEK said:
hi all .  greetings from new zealand.  I'm greg brice.  average kiwi.    special  HI!  to new york techs,  diy'ers, studio dudes, and inventors.  im in  'the apple'  for  ten  days from 19th  april  with my family . tuned for a  full new york immersion .  crazy indulgent madness.    we are staying in west village and i would like to meet up somehow with folks - visit  a workshop and studio , talk sh*t.  whatever is interesting.  ..ssoo …  im actually not creepy at all …
so please get in touch about that ok.

also  PLEASE  ---  ANY NEW YORK IN SPRING HOLIDAY TIPS ? 
thanks all.

If you want to experience the underpinnings of NYC, I humbly suggest finding a mom and pop non-kosher deli that serves breakfast, and order up exactly this, write it down:

"Pork-roll, egg and cheese on a kaiser roll, with salt, pepper, and ketchup."

A blue collar delicacy. Might be an acquired taste, I love them, but nobody makes them as good as the deli's in Brooklyn, not even me.

If you try one, I would be interested in a critique from someone from down under that didn't grow up on them. (I'm from up that way.)

It's gotta be better than Vegemite.  :D

Porkroll = Taylor ham.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_roll

That article is a bit dated, we can now get it in grocery stores in TX, and we do.

A pic from my refrigerator tonight, not much left on that loaf:

Gene

Attachments

• Taylor ham.jpg
    Taylor ham.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Back