2U rack available height

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

What is the actual available hight inside a typical 2U rack mounting enclosure? I have designed a 3 inch tall (76.2mm)PCB and it is not clear to me if this will fit vertically in a 2U rack (88.9mm). I have looked at lots of datasheets and they all give the front panel height but none tell you the internal height. My board is about a half inch shorter than the rack height so I have about a quarter inch play top and bottom. Is this enough?

Cheers

ian

You would also need to consider how it is mounted. Par metal is a common US manufacturer. On their 2U cases the internal height is listed as 3.14". But some of them also have a lip in the front which decreases clearance for flush mounting to the front. So you need to get the right type of case for what you need.

john12ax7 said:
You would also need to consider how it is mounted. Par metal is a common US manufacturer. On their 2U cases the internal height is listed as 3.14". But some of them also have a lip in the front which decreases clearance for flush mounting to the front. So you need to get the right type of case for what you need.

THanks for the info. Any idea how big this lip is?

Cheers

Ian

I just measured a typical UREI case and it has 78 mm internal height. It has a lip top & bottom of the case and the case is hung off the front panel

The more typical modern 2U cases have a lot more internal height - probably 88.9 less two sheets of aluminium = 85 mm approx

In either case I think you'll be OK with 76.2

Nick Froome

pvision said:
I just measured a typical UREI case and it has 78 mm internal height. It has a lip top & bottom of the case and the case is hung off the front panel

The more typical modern 2U cases have a lot more internal height - probably 88.9 less two sheets of aluminium = 85 mm approx

In either case I think you'll be OK with 76.2

Nick Froome

Thanks NIck. It is more for others than for me. It is part of the new mastering EQ design and I would like people to be able to fit it into 2U rack cases.

Cheers

Ian

How will you mount the PCB?

Card guides are neat - I have racked up a pair of NTP compressors and used guides spaced off the base of the case with angle brackets. But the card is horizontal

If there is sufficient height to mount a guide on the base of the case then the card might be better supported that way

Nick Froome

pvision said:
How will you mount the PCB?

Card guides are neat - I have racked up a pair of NTP compressors and used guides spaced off the base of the case with angle brackets. But the card is horizontal

If there is sufficient height to mount a guide on the base of the case then the card might be better supported that way

Nick Froome

Good point. At the moment the board would be supported by the two switches fitted to the front panel and there might also be another board piggy backed onto it. Card guides would definitely be a better form of support.

Cheers

Iam

Its not ideal, but even with a lip, the end user could mount the pcb to the front panel after the front was attached to the chassis.

I've never seen a rack where the only way in was through the front panel!

Back