ruffrecords

Re: Passive Mastering EQ
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2017, 10:40:49 AM »
50£ is for the Elma Switch I suppose ;)

Keep up the great work Ian, can't wait to read more :)

That is right, it is the switch that is over £50.

Anyone had any experience of using ribbon cable in EQ circuits? I am a bit concerned about the stray capacitance. The advantage of ribbon cable is that DIYers can set the switches at any spacing they like. A PCB will have much lower stray capacitance but fixes the switch spacing. Pros and con s??

Cheers

Ian

« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2017, 01:32:26 PM »
personally i try to stay away from any ribbon cable whenever possible. perhaps you could design a bridging pcb between switch and main pcb that has lots of pin holes at different distances and the option to easily saw/break it off where one needs it.

if this does not make sense, i think it would not be to bad if the spacig was given. if one does not like how it is arranged its still  possible to re-arrange with cabling. its what i did on your redd eq and it was no problem. just a bit more work.

ruffrecords

« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2017, 03:46:47 PM »
personally i try to stay away from any ribbon cable whenever possible. perhaps you could design a bridging pcb between switch and main pcb that has lots of pin holes at different distances and the option to easily saw/break it off where one needs it.

if this does not make sense, i think it would not be to bad if the spacig was given. if one does not like how it is arranged its still  possible to re-arrange with cabling. its what i did on your redd eq and it was no problem. just a bit more work.

I imagine the vast majority of EQs built to this design will be housed in 19 inch rack enclosures. Most of these have at least 16 inches of horizontal panel space available. If the EQ has 6 bands spaced 2 inches apart with an inch gap at either end, the total space occupied is 14 inches. This leaves a couple of inches for a mains on/off and or master level control. This is pretty much the spacing between controls of the Pultec MEQ5.

http://lghttp.50970.nexcesscdn.net/8029F77/vk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/17f82f742ffe127f42dca9de82fb58b1/p/u/pultec_meq_5_front.jpg

Cheers

Ian

warpie

« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2017, 06:14:49 AM »
That is right, it is the switch that is over £50.

Is this the price for the single gang? Stop screw?

malnatim

« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2017, 06:40:50 AM »
I am a bit concerned about the stray capacitance. The advantage of ribbon cable is that DIYers can set the switches at any spacing they like. A PCB will have much lower stray capacitance but fixes the switch spacing. Pros and con s??

imo being able to set the switches at any spacing is appealing, but maybe not worth it if this creates too much stray capacitance.
mike
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 07:18:31 AM by malnatim »

ruffrecords

« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2017, 04:27:11 PM »
imo being able to set the switches at any spacing is appealing, but maybe not worth it if this creates too much stray capacitance.
mike

The prototype is earmarked for a customer so it will definitely not have ribbon cable in it. Once this one is working I can devise a PCB that allows the bands to be connected by ribbon rather than a PCB. Both choices will then be available.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords

« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2017, 03:31:47 AM »
The ELMA switches have arrived at last. Now I can start on the interconnecting PCB.

Cheers

Ian

« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2017, 08:03:32 PM »
sounds exciting. let us know how it goes !

« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2017, 07:43:27 PM »
The ELMA switches have arrived at last. Now I can start on the interconnecting PCB.

Cheers

Ian

Good luck with the design Ian, looking forward for this. Have read all posts here and really like the idea and concept behind it.
Will order one for sure!

I am doing graphic design as freelancer besides making music  ::) so if you need a nice visual for the case let me know ;-)

Grtz and respect for the input,
Frederick
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 07:47:20 PM by frederickalonso »
www.kontrast.in - I make websites and stores online.

ruffrecords

« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2017, 02:36:53 AM »
Good luck with the design Ian, looking forward for this. Have read all posts here and really like the idea and concept behind it.
Will order one for sure!

I am doing graphic design as freelancer besides making music  ::) so if you need a nice visual for the case let me know ;-)

Grtz and respect for the input,
Frederick

Thanks for the offer Frederick. I am planning on a spacing of about 1.6 inched=s between the 5 bands so that  left and right channels should fit aside by side across a 19 inch rack mounting enclosure ;probably 2U or 3U high.

CHeers

Ian

« Reply #90 on: June 18, 2017, 04:26:38 PM »
Sounds great IAN!  8)
www.kontrast.in - I make websites and stores online.