Passive Mastering EQ

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last of the PCBs arrived the other day. I have ordered the Grayhill switches for frequency selection. When they arrive I will start building a complete channel.

Cheers

Ian

Ian!

i rolled a bobbin today.
didnt turn out the way i was hoping for exactly, cause i used a 0.35mm wire instead of 28awg  (0.32mm) so each layer containd less turns.

i rolled it the way i had planned anyway to see how it would turn out.

with the 630AL cores and the turn counts i got for each winding i got:

31mH
68mH
181mH
252mH
490mH
750mH

the 31mH winding could be done closer to 50mH instead
and the 252mH winding could be done something about 297mH with an extra layer of turns.

but i need to rip it apart and remake it. or if you like theese numbers better, ill do another one with same recepie.

i need to order more copper wire cause the first attempt was for warming up.

what do you think?

Those values will be OK. After I designed that inductor, the customer came back with a list of frequencies for each band and the highest was a bit too low for the 50mH winding so 31mH is no problem.

Cheers

Ian

I just finished testing a shelving version of the lowest EQ band, because the first customer wants the bottom most and top most bands to be shelving rather than peaking. I used the same inductor as used in the peaking version but the inductor values may need altering.

There seems to be no accepted definition of the frequency of a shelving EQ so the following plots are listed by inductor value. Draw you own conclusions about how you would define them:

750mH boost and cut:

750mHshelfboost.png

750mHshelfcut.png

500mH boost and cut:

500m_Hshelfboost.png

500mHshelfcut.png

300mH boost and cut:

300m_Hshelfboost.png

300m_Hshelfcut.png

200mH boost/cut:

200mhshelfboost.png

200m_Hshelfcut.png

100mH boost/cut:

100m_Hshelfboost.png

100m_Hshelfcut.png

55mH boost/cut:

55m_Hshelfboost.png

55m_Hshelfcut.png

Unlike the peaking version, the turnover frequency is different for cut then for boost. This is because the basic attenuator is 10dB so the resistance of the lower arm is less than that of the upper one.

Cheers

Ian

skal1 said:
Just showing my interest, are all the band switchable from peak to  shelf

regards

slkal

No. You can build them as peaking or shelving but they are not switchable. They are really all intended to be peaking - the Q required for mastering is quite low - around 0.6 - so the peaks are quite broad. There is not a huge difference in shape between a bass shelving curve and a bass peaking curve (you can see the peaking ones in an earlier post). Also there is not much point having a mid band shelving so if you did do it you would only do it the the highest and lowest bands.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

i was just wondering  , are the inductors  you are going to choose, custom or off the shelf , and will the peaking / shelf  eq  circuit use the same inductor.
cheers

skal1

Back