EmRR

Collins Radio Co. 356A-1 preamp gain mod and rackup
« on: April 04, 2017, 01:28:59 PM »
Here's a process log on a recent Collins 356A-1 preamp restoration, mod, and rack-up.  These were for a client, he had them already and sent them to me.  He wanted all the modern conveniences, along with padding for line use, so the input pad is -20/30/40.  These are fixed gain as stock, I sorted out a feedback path mod to increase gain without giving up the tertiary winding path entirely; there’s another thread that addresses that.  Max output level is high enough to justify an output attenuator, so it’s on this one.  The output load switch is kinda pointless using a modern CAPI/Hairball 600 ohm T, as it’s minimum loading is 1K, unlike a correct T which goes open at the off position, so the load resistor is a 2K2 for a minimum load of 710R.  I found a real Collins logo for the front panel.  PSU's are all DC and off-the-shelf.  Linear B+ and filament, switching 48V. 

Click this link for larger pic

PSU.  Required iso diodes to avoid latch-up through shared A-/B-.  Added second DC output jack for use with theoretical additional preamp rack.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 02:08:14 PM by emrr »
Best,

Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders

"I think this can be better. Some kind of control that's intuitive, not complicated like a single knob" - Crusty

"Back when everything sounde

musika

Re: Collins Radio Co. 356A-1 preamp gain mod and rackup
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 01:33:24 PM »
Very nice!!!

mjrippe

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 06:34:35 PM »
Beautiful work, as usual, Doug!

My3gger

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 04:24:34 PM »
Very nice and it is always interesting to get well informed about American approach to pro audio. Why is input cathode cap C202 of so low value? They could easily pick foil type instead what looks lytic. C 203 seems coupling cap, i'm not sure if C204 makes filter with R205. Interesting circuit which could help making layouts because HT is below. Maybe CJ's joke about German audio and amphetamine paranoia wasn't just joke :) Wish we had modules from them or any other good European for cheap, American are not well known at all. Those who know them like their sound a lot, like that "sound glow" from BA-2, very exciting.
I'm just finishing modifications with very similar controls as yours here. Added IT primary switching for ribbons and typical 150-200 ohms mics, might not be needed today with active ribbons. I'm still not sure if better new models have ~200 ohms impedance and higher gain than passive. No one replied. Output control will be 1k pot, works well with NYD schematic having resistors before it.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 04:29:36 PM by My3gger »

EmRR

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 09:34:06 PM »
Look again.  That's not the cathode cap. 

But if it was, it'd be for treble boost. 

C204/R205 is addressed in the link about the gain mod. 
Best,

Doug Williams

"I think this can be better. Some kind of control that's intuitive, not complicated like a single knob" - Crusty

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 01:39:55 PM »
Would you be willing to post a diagram of the gain mod? It's not 100% clear from the description in the thread linked.  thanks

skippo

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 03:58:28 AM »
PSU's are all DC and off-the-shelf.  Linear B+ and filament, switching 48V. 

Hi Doug,
Really beautiful work on this, I've been looking at some of your other posts too on these preamps. I going to be racking up some 356-As soon and I was wondering if you had a link to the power supply you used?

Also the plug in connectors on the modules look new, do you have a source for those?

Thanks for your help!
best
Asher

EmRR

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 11:31:34 AM »
International Power for B+ and filament, both from Mouser.  The 48V is a Meanwell, I've mentioned it in a thread about phantom somewhere here.  I put another RC filter on it's output.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mean-Well/RS-25-48/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuEhFEw3BeJbc0V%2fVK7k4iujqnPf2qQDII%3d

The connectors are intermittently available from several different manufacturers, it's different every time I look.  If they aren't at Mouser today, they will be in 6 months.  Or from Allied.  Waldom sometimes. 

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogusd/645/2570.pdf
Best,

Doug Williams

skippo

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 03:46:59 PM »
International Power for B+ and filament, both from Mouser.  The 48V is a Meanwell, I've mentioned it in a thread about phantom somewhere here.  I put another RC filter on it's output.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mean-Well/RS-25-48/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuEhFEw3BeJbc0V%2fVK7k4iujqnPf2qQDII%3d

The connectors are intermittently available from several different manufacturers, it's different every time I look.  If they aren't at Mouser today, they will be in 6 months.  Or from Allied.  Waldom sometimes. 

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogusd/645/2570.pdf

Thanks!!