Berlant Concertone to Micpre conversation ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kosi

Hello,
I got a nice present from forum member "quayhog":  A  Berlant Concertone in pretty good condition.

I would like to convert this into a preamp, but how ?
I'm looking for help and some hints, what I have to do, to achieve this. The schematics are confusing to me.
I attach them as pdf, which was made by mjrippe, thanks for this
I have input and output tx for this, although it also runs without them.

so, any help is highly appreciated !
btw, I can make some connections to more Berlant's, if someone is interested !

Attachments

• Berlant Schemo.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 57
Rather than destroying the record/play electronics; make a dedicated mike preamp. It would be smaller & specifically designed for the use.

I can provide a schematic & some build suggestions, if you like.

I also have so,me brand new Neotech mike pres I manufactured & used to replace mike pres in some customers consoles. They are identical to the Series III in mixing console. Very clean & inexpensive; also have a proprietary bipolar supply w clean power module, to power them. P.M. me if interested.

unless missing something obvious, no conversion or modifications necessary.
power supply is "always" on,
with the specified input/output transformers,
and healthy components, it should perform decently.
if you want to non-destructively "improve" the mic preamp,
note the attached simplified schematic.
a little less gain but a more direct path.

Attachments

• preamp.JPG
    preamp.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 78
thanks, guys,
I'm not thinking about destroying the machine, I want to make it useful again, as I don't have the tape machine. Plus I really like their look. I will borrow a variac over the weekend and just see, how lucky I am. Pretty sure to change most of the bumble bee caps and one big  electrolytic. I tested one Astron .22 cap and it didn't leak ;)

I thought, that I need to connect something, especially section A on the schematic left me worried. I also read, that I can leave out the 12BH7, which is used for the bias oscillator.
But as you see, all I did was reading !

Will keep you posted

You can take out the 12BH7 but LEAVE ALL THE OTHER TUBES IN PLACE.  The way the filaments are wired all of the other tubes need to be there for proper operation.

I suppose I should chime in here since I anticipate a lot of flak for repurposing these preamps.  I gave the chassis set away to Kosi and also some to several others.  I have one set restored along with a stereo 5 head transport.  I have another five head transport to restore as well as a few complete mono machines.  The extra chassis were acquired to be parts mules and because they had the transformers which I used to restore a pair of MCM-2 mixers.  The chassis I chose to give away most had open coils on the bias transformers. A near impossible part to find and not used in the mic preamp circuit but necessary for recorder use.

In short I had too many chassis than transports.  My remaining ones will be restored for use as recorders.  If I end up with an extra or two I might turn it into a mic preamp.  I love these recorders. They compare well to the Ampexes of the mid 50's and considerably cheaper. 

Back