5.1 passive stepped attenuator, balanced connection?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j.frad

Hi guys!

Backstory:

I'm looking for a 5.1 volume control.
The cheapest I know is the spl volume 8 but I'm not a big fan of their monitoring circuits,
their stereo SMC unit really changes the sound, I'd like something more "pure".
Any other unit runs between 2000 and 4000 euros, I can't justify that at the moment.

I'm also trying to keep things at a reasonable price, otherwise I could just buy the coleman SR5.1.

Parameters:

I'll be connecting either an orion32 or an ssl Alphalink mx, both with balanced outputs,
to a set of hypex amp which also have balanced inputs.
Cable runs will not exceed 2-3 meters length.

Options:

6 pole stepped attenuator, unbalanced connection.
12 pole attenuator, balanced connection (6 for the positive sides, 6 for negative sides)
khozmo can build either one for a reasonable price.

Something bugs me about keeping things balanced, if something should happen to one of the wipers, it cause distortion but I won't necessarily hear it right away.

On the other hand, unbalancing the outputs has other drawbacks, I guess.

What are your thoughts, what would you do?
Thanks,
Jules

As far as my experiment have gone, it dims all 32 outputs which can be unpractical.
I would also like a failsafe between the outputs and the amps in case it is turned full on by accident.

So far my calculation in terms of cost brings me in the 800/900 euro range
(building the attenuator and some relay switching to multiple ins/outputs etc...)
Still half of a commercial unit, not counting the hours I would have to put in it.

The more I think about it, the more a used HD omni interface seems like a good solution for my needs.

Still, I would like to see if anyone ventured in the custom 5.1 volume direction.

j.frad said:
As far as my experiment have gone, it dims all 32 outputs which can be unpractical.
I would also like a failsafe between the outputs and the amps in case it is turned full on by accident.

I would imagine that this is assignable to a group of channels, that has been my experience with other similar products.

You should take a look at the Sound Skulptor MC624.  I used one for several years and it is excellent.  Distortion is super low, excellent functionality.  I sold my Cranesong Avocet and much preferred the Sound Skulptor.  You can stack several units ala Craensong/Dangerous to create a surround controller.

Latest posts

Back