G7 hum

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrmintz

While Soundguy's toroid was melting, my G7 was humming. It's never done this before and it's had quite a bit of use, though I haven't used it for a couple of months. Any suggestions where to start looking?

Thanks.

Seth, 60Hz or 120Hz? That can often differentiate between loop pickup/poor shielding (usually 60Hz) and power supply component problems.

That said, a deterioration in something like that often is related to metal-on-metal contact degradation in connectors, switches, et al., given that nothing else changed.

Brad

Thanks Brad.

I think it was 60Hz hum, but I didn't stop to make sure. I'll have to check through the power supply tomorrow.

:thumb:

It sounded kinda like 60hz to me. My studio was seriously haunted today...

One thing we did to trouble shoot was unplug the mic and listen to the supply alone, the hum was present but way down. with the mic plugged in it got a lot louder. Could it be that whatever stray noise in the supply is being amplified by the mic circuit? Just for future reference, is this something to look out for with tube mics?

dave

Latest posts

Back