Testing some AVD Audio input and output transformers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernbrue

Hi,
I've got some nice transformers from forum member Andrej (AVD Audio) here and did some measurements and tests. I'm very pleased by the built quality and how they perform.

All tests were done out of circuit. I've just inserted the transformers in one of my ADT-5MT consoles channel strips and measured with RMAA.

Part two will be in circuit (Varimu compressor triode push pull circuit) in comparison to other candidates from Edcor and Sowter. I'm going to attach some PDF files and pictures later.
Cheers
Bernd

Attachments

• AVD input transformer comparison.pdf
    162 KB · Views: 93
No, I've only measured primary and secondary resistance. I'm not so familiar with measuring inductance.
All I can say so far is that they sound amazing.
Bernd

Attachments

• IMG_1869.JPG
    IMG_1869.JPG
    962.3 KB · Views: 140
Bernd, hello!
I'm happy to see you have received this already!

L´Andratté, about pri/sec inductance:
I checked it when I did it. Pri inductance is around 24H. And I dont remember about Sec. (Think around 5 or 6 Henries)

One I did with GAP. But with same Pri induction. Second one, output transformer with %HiNi laminations. I did same for my friend with Ni lam for out LA-2A. And transformer has a best characteristics. Small THD for 100k load impedance on input.

forla2a.jpg

Very interesting to hear new comments from you! Will wait!

Thanks!

Here are the results of my "in circuit " test. It's a 436 style varimu triode push pull circuit.
Bernd

Attachments

• AVD vs Sowter output transformer triode push pull circuit comparison.pdf
    169.4 KB · Views: 81
I've used these (both the 2622 and 2503) in some 312 clones I built and can attest that I've been very happy with them. I've built units with Ed Anderson's 2622 and old Jensen JE-123-As and I thought these compared quite nicely. Some subtle differences but very nice all the same.

I have frequency response tests of them both in the google drive folder I shared out in a Chamber post recently, FWIW.

Nice work, Andrej!

Latest posts

Back