CAPI 2520 Building and transistor matching

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knotty

Hey guys, I'm building a ton of(about 30)  capi 2520s for a bunch of API preamps I'm rebuilding. I've got the opamps built all the way except for the match transistors on the output. I have matched about 300 of the output transistors and organized them into groups  of gain and now I just have a few questions.

1. How closely should the pair of transistors be matched?
2. Does the gain of the matched pair affect the output gain of the opamp? Or just the quality of the output signal?
3. If it does affect the overall gain of the opamp, is there a general transistor gain to shoot for?

Thanks, just my first time building a large lot of these at the same time, so I thought I'd ask a few questions to clear some stuff up.

Hi.

1. I remember that Gary said in a another thead that he matched the hfe with -2/+2.
So if the HFe is 555 he also would use a second transistor with a hfe of 553.

The other questions .. i think the difference would be near zero as long as Q1/Q2 is matched (or was it Q5,Q6 ?).

Sweet! I'll probably try and build two. One at the low end gain of my transistors and one at the high end gain of the transistors and see what happens from there. Thanks for the input!

Latest posts

Back