Roland R-880

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siegfried Meier

Hey guys,

Anyone have experience with one of these?  Bought it last year and never had a chance to fire it up (it came from a very reputable guy, who will repair it if need be).  Finally got it wired into the patchbay tonight and even though signal runs through it, all I seem to get when I hit stop is a looping digital noisy chatter that has reverb on it…constantly looping.  Each patch sounds different, but they all do this weird looping digital noise.

I can't seem to find any way to reset the unit anywhere online…I have only the factory card that came with it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Sig

What sort of issues was yours exhibiting?

I suppose the A/D could be damaged, but I've never heard a converter do this sort of a sound...very weird!

I uploaded a short vid of the sound so you can hear what I'm referring to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJYBEeOKyGM&feature=youtu.be

There arer two supply sections. The analog is a linear supply. On the unit I fixed, that supply was fine. The switchmode supply is separate and only does the 5 volts. Yes, I recapped the low voltage side of the switchmode and it fixed the problem. Its all pretty conventional. If it looks daunting to you, maybe take it to a qualified tech? There are lethal voltages in there.

Been at it all day with the tech...the 5v supply is fine, so that's not the problem.  It's like an oscillation of some kind that's happening post processing, and being passed out to the D/A...

Such a crazy sound.  How does the unit know whether it's looking for digital or analog input? I don't see a switch on the unit, and the controls in the remote appear to not allow for it at all.

Also, my clock always resets to 1988 (it's a v1.01) no matter how many times I set it to current time, and the battery inside the remote shows 3.06v, so that should be fine.

Thanks,
Sig

Yes, the clock does that. Try sending it a digital input signal.
There must be a way to reset the input, maybe its on digital.
Also try a complete software reset.

Digital input wouldn't work, it couldn't lock to anything.  Again, there's no settings in the remote, so who knows how to check that...?

I've never found a factory reset for the R880...if you know of one, I'd love to know what it is!

Thanks,
Sig

It appears there is no rom reset. So disconnect the battery and short out where the battery goes. Then start it without the battery and see what you get.

Sorry to dig up an old post, but were you ever able to sort this problem out, Siegfried?

I just got my hands on an R-880, and it has the same problems as yours.

Latest posts

Back