Big Console for ridiculous price ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SIXTYNINER

Hi ,  found this console for sale
http://www.ebay.it/itm/172616811231?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

very "strange" price  ,
i never touched that desk , also do not know how it sound ,

anybody have mixed on it ?

any feedback about the seller ?

thanks for any feedback about
cheers

Digital consoles of that age are just unusable crap.
Lawo discontinued support and spare parts years ago.
The only usable parts inside are the LL1527 transformers in the A/D Converters.
I will sell you 24 of them for the same price :)

[silent:arts] said:
Digital consoles of that age are just unusable crap.
Lawo discontinued support and spare parts years ago.
The only usable parts inside are the LL1527 transformers in the A/D Converters.
I will sell you 24 of them for the same price :)

Thanks for post "Volky"

Digital have to be seriously considered not an" investment" ...
as for avid pro tools cards and all the many similar too...

i really do not want to think about the price of that desk when new ,
...a heartbreak could hit violently  :eek:

seen some video on the tube , and have to say that they have good layout , good user interface , automation, etc...
onboard core dsp and input-outputs ,
why they are put "away" as low value technology...
bugs on software ?
no good sound ?

thanks for  transformers offer
but i prefer carnhill, neumann, api.....

about that seller that have many  pro audio devices available ,  any feedback ?

SIXTYNINER said:
about that seller that have many  pro audio devices available ,  any feedback ?

From the few e-mail correspondences that I had with him he sounded to be a very professional and courteous gentleman. But I have had no business transactions.

SIXTYNINER said:
Digital have to be seriously considered not an" investment" ...
as for avid pro tools cards and all the many similar too...
well, you shouldn't do any investment if you can't reach your break even point before the product live span ends  ;)

SIXTYNINER said:
i really do not want to think about the price of that desk when new ,
...a heartbreak could hit violently  :eek:
I could tell you but new was 1998 ...

SIXTYNINER said:
why they are put "away" as low value technology...
bugs on software ?
no good sound ?
what is todays value of the computer you bought in 1998?
do you still get spare parts for it?
does the manufacture still get the parts (DSPs, interface ICs etc) he needs for repairs?

[silent:arts] said:
......what is todays value of the computer you bought in 1998?
do you still get spare parts for it?
does the manufacture still get the parts (DSPs, interface ICs etc) he needs for repairs?

i agree about  ,

seen that the electronics go to the direction of reduce dimension of components (and cost too) and energy required for work ,
and the fact that a cell phone multicore processor inlcude something like 2 billions of transistors ,
a 1998 (digital) technology probably it is not so easy to service . overall for parts ,

i remember another  console called Capricorn made by Neve (Ams-Siemens) with same issue (price and sound apart)
and the end of Euphonix  too ,

it is also true that the console chassis can be the same and the cards can be replaced by the new , with components updated ,
overall for consoles that have the price with 5 zeros ( X00.000 )

but they prefer to design a complete new one , better for components , for sound , and for sales department of course ,

sometime i check some new song made with the old pro tools 24 (no mix)
that sound better than other songs bounced with latest generation/version of native software daw that run on multicore intel computer ,

probably only an ears factor ?  ::)

ps:
who buy the other console for sale by same seller for 7000 euros
get only a quantity of obsolete parts ?  :eek:

Just to remind that big consoles selling for peanuts is not a digital thing, it happens both in digital an analog.

Big analog consoles are also worth peanuts, there's millions all over the world with no use and they are worth the same as trash.
Too big to ship, too costly to maintain, too costly to power up, occupy tremendous amount of space, some of them almost impossible to repair.  Less options, tools, flexibility, recall than even the cheapest DAW in 2017.
Exception are some particular models of Neve, SSL, API, Helios, EMI, that hold value, but those are the exception not the norm.

Whoops said:
Just to remind that big consoles selling for peanuts is not a digital thing, it happens both in digital an analog.

Big analog consoles are also worth peanuts, there's millions all over the world with no use and they are worth the same as trash.
Too big to ship, too costly to maintain, too costly to power up, occupy tremendous amount of space, some of them almost impossible to repair.  Less options, tools, flexibility, recall than even the cheapest DAW in 2017.
Exception are some particular models of Neve, SSL, API, Helios, EMI, that hold value, but those are the exception not the norm.

...and seem that the "direction" of the recall is for "liquid" touch screen control like devil tech and slate

r2d2 said:
...and seem that the "direction" of the recall is for "liquid" touch screen control like devil tech and slate

I'm not an English native speaker so I have problems in understanding what you mean.

But I do a lot of Live sound work also and Touchscreens and iPAD remote control of digital mixing consoles just improved workflow and the quality of the Mix to both Audience and stage monitors. Also being able to save the Session and recall just improved the consistency of the mixing delivered to the audience night after night.

Nowadays I can take my laptop and headphones and start and build a mix on the Beach, and thats way more inspiring creatively to me than being locked in a studio with any big analog console in front of you.

Also when I open the mix 2 weeks after it will sound exactly the same as the last time I saved it.

Back