2 1000 watt amps on a 2000 Kawasaki vulcan 1500

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne001

What do i need to do to the bike to install the 2 1000 watt amps with 4 amplified  speakers.. the amps pull 24 amps each. I also have led lights on it
i dont  Think they pull many amps.. but i dont want to overload the system.. would a amp capacitor be needed?
Thanks for any suggestions

Awesome. Sounds fun. A capacitor is only going to help with loud transients. If your plannning on playing music pretty constant and pretty loud, your probably going to need a car alternator and battery.

Please post a picture of the bike when its done...

> 2 1000 watt amps

You really should start by figuring out what the motorcycle's alternator CAN deliver.

I got lucky. A website lists the alternator output and an "operating" load for several bikes, including two Vulcan 1500s.

http://www.powerlet.com/learningCenter/excessCapacity
Table 1 – Peak Charging Output
Make Model Year Fuel Delivery Peak Charging Output
Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 2000 Carbureted 377 watts
Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 2001 Fuel Injected 588 watts

Table 3 – Excess Capacity for 2 small, 2 mid, and 2 big bikes
Example Peak Operating Excess Capacity
Vulcan 1500 FI 588 watts 340 watts 248 watts

It appears that the 2001 V1500 has 248 Watts to spare, but the 2000 V1500 may have just 37 Watts to spare!!

Depending. This "Operating" may include include ignition, and headlights which you can turn off, and battery-charging which is not needed if you just cruised a while (long enough to fill the battery). Just sitting there it may only need 200 Watts to idle. Which leaves 177 Watts to spare.

You propose TWO 1,000 Watt amplifiers. 1,000W is the maximum output power; they will need almost twice that much from the battery/alternator. But you do not play speech/music at constant FULL output. I will guesstimate 1,000 Watts average amplifier power consumption.

So 37W to 248W spare power, and 1,000 Watts needed. The bike alternator will NOT power these amplifiers!

What happens when it doesn't? The excess load drains the battery.

How big is a bike's battery? I will assume 30 Amp-Hours, which is 360 Watt-Hours.

So in about 360/1,000 hours, or about 20 minutes, the bike battery is flat. At this point you can not start the bike without a strong leg (if the Vulcan even has kick-start). The battery is damaged by being run-down all the way, so you will be replacing the batt after every few 20-minute performances.

A couple of car batteries might extend this to an hour.

Even a car can't run several 1,000 Watt amplifiers for long, unless the alternator is upgraded. It is easy to find a Chevy alternator to give 100Amps, 1,200 Watts. I doubt you can find a 100A alternator to fit a Vulcan.

Put your several kiloWatt amps in the beer-truck, not on the bike.

SSLtech said:
2x 1000 watt amps that pull 24 Amps each?

...So you have an 42 volt battery?

-Or have the laws of physics been repealed?

Re check your amp theories... most cases with audio amps rated power consumption is lower than the rated power deliver. My powered yamaha monitors (HS50m) are are rated for 75W IIRC and only 45W power consumption. This is pretty common and PS caps are big and peaks are short in most music. Listening to californication at full power might vary your milage. Nominal levels are far from that.

JS

joaquins said:
Listening to californication at full power might vary your milage.

Dude, that's hilarious ;D You wouldn't believe how much they play the Chili Peppers  in southern california, radio stations, retail stores, restaurants...Its creepy.

I have a feeling this guy is not coming back...

SSLtech said:
2x 1000 watt amps that pull 24 Amps each?

...So you have an 42 volt battery?

-Or have the laws of physics been repealed?
Today, amp's power is measured in bursts, typically at 1/8th the peak power. That's what allows powering a 20kW LabGruppen from a single-phase 117V 30Amps or a 230V 16Amps outlet.
http://labgruppen.com/view-model/plm-plus-series/plm-20k44?page=spec
This is supposed to reflect normal usage...

Latest posts

Back