did anybody ever got a Chinese k47 propper reskinned by someone like Thiersch ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At one point Thiersch offered Chinese capsules, as a budget solution.
He may have reskinned a couple of those, just for kicks.

There even was a rumor that he used Chinese metal parts for his own capsules.
I did say rumor.
And I'll add that Thiersch has a very well deserved reputation!
And good metal is good metal.

Do I need to get my flame suit on now?

I tried conveince Thiersh to reskin my k47 from China, but he refused, and wrote that he don't know original diaphragm thickness.
I suggested that it's 3u but i asked do he could made it with 6u or 9u. Still "NO"!

For the difference between chinese version and neumann version. Chinese capsules have much more bumped "presence" area response. Anyway used with the head, can sound really good. Not in every microphone, not in every circuit. In most unmodified chinese circuits sounds awfull.  If somoene will write that they have weaker low end, then he don't know how to use it :D
3UAudio could be some solution, but to be honest i don't know what is "bright" k47 and what is "dark" k47.
I will not spent 200$ bucks to check is it dark exactly the same as typical chinese k47 and bright is just brighter - maybe someone want to try?

ln76d said:
I tried conveince Thiersh to reskin my k47 from China, but he refused, and wrote that he don't know original diaphragm thickness.
I suggested that it's 3u but i asked do he could made it with 6u or 9u. Still "NO"!

I was suspecting that, I do understand him.

The thing is to copy  a precise metalwork is in the age of cnc machine no rocket science anymore. Reskinning I suspect to be work where you need experience to do it good. Are the Chinese capsule identical in terms of metalwork, did anybody put it side by side ?

ln76d said:
For the difference between chinese version and neumann version. Chinese capsules have much more bumped "presence" area response.

are the k47 maybe relabel k67 ?

I've re skinned (with 6um German mylar )both the China 3um K47 and 67 types.  It smooths out the tizz and ads a weight to the sound  a definite improvement.

The metalwork on many chinese K47's is not nearly as precise western versions. I'm almost positive Thiersch's metal comes from FLEA.

Posted by: Tim Campbell
The metalwork on many chinese K47's is not nearly as precise western versions

I agree with Tim and have noticed slightly different hole diameters and depths as well diaphragm tension inconsistencies but some can sound very good in the right circuit but still not as nice as a well tuned 6 um k47 or k67.

Tim Campbell said:
The metalwork on many chinese K47's is not nearly as precise western versions.
..are there some Chinese, or better certain ones which are precise Tim ?

be

Latest posts

Back