motherboard for i7 6800

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kambo

any recommended motherboard for i7 6800

some reason LGA2011-v3 socket board reviews are very confusing,
a lot of complaints with built quality...

I have been using either ASUS or Gigabyte for my last ten or so builds and have been very content with both

There are at least two good threads on the topic of i7 / x99 builds that you can read (I typically start backwards with the last page when threads get too long). One thread is on Gearslutz in the "computers" section, it's a sticky, and the other is on Avid's forum (duc) and it's also stickied I think. Can't remember the section though.

Either way in both they discuss all sorts of things and they all have music production in mind when doing so, so I think they could be good resources for you.

Out of curiosity: What's the intended use for it, and have you considered AMD as well?

thank you mattiasNYC... yes i have seen both forums...
i do backwards reading on such forums, too...
both didnt give me clear idea for the motherboard choice.
ones that u think will do the job, then u read customer reviews, and back to confusion again!
ie : USB 3 ports are not working properly, or problem with windows 10 etc...

mattiasNYC said:
Out of curiosity: What's the intended use for it, and have you considered AMD as well?
music computer, cubase;
i think AMDs are not as good as use to be... i use to use AMD, now it seems 8 core AMD = 4 core intel...
i didnt check in depth tho...
i already have a very decent computer, i7 2600k with 16gb memory,
but my new plugins pulling a lot of juice.
i might wait for another 6 months for i 6900 k 's to go down in price :)

kambo said:
thank you mattiasNYC... yes i have seen both forums...
i do backwards reading on such forums, too...
both didnt give me clear idea for the motherboard choice.
ones that u think will do the job, then u read customer reviews, and back to confusion again!
ie : USB 3 ports are not working properly, or problem with windows 10 etc...

I see. I don't disagree, it can be confusing. My impression has been that Gigabyte's motherboards have worked well, as well as one of Asus' boards ... I think the x99-pro....

Maybe your best bet is to PM individual users directly and see what their experiences were? I wish I could help, but my computer is old and while I was researching x99 Ryzen showed up so now I'm not sure I'll go Intel.

kambo said:
music computer, cubase;
i think AMDs are not as good as use to be... i use to use AMD, now it seems 8 core AMD = 4 core intel...
i didnt check in depth tho...
i already have a very decent computer, i7 2600k with 16gb memory,
but my new plugins pulling a lot of juice.
i might wait for another 6 months for i 6900 k 's to go down in price :)

I actually don't think the first part is true though. Scan did a test of a Ryzen 1700X and it performed incredibly well for it's price relative to both the quad core 7700k and a couple of x99 CPUs. There was one test where it fell behind the 7700k, but it's then worth noting two things;

- is that performance in absolute terms so low it falls below the threshold of what is necessary to you. Because the result of it was fewer plugin instances, and so if that number (500 I believe) is more than you'd use then it's a non-issue in practice.

- how does that performance rate in importance to you relative to the other test in which it did much better than the 7700k? In other words if the performance hit is low enough in the one test and the advantage is large enough in the other, the net result may mean it's a better buy considering price.

You can check the Ryzen thread maybe.

But either way it seems that a Ryzen octo core or Intel x99 CPU will be a great improvement.

oh actually reading more about Ryzen, test results are very very good...
i might go with that....

Back