Help Plz - Trying to bring a BeyerDynamic M400 SoundStar MKII back from the dead

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amonte

Hoping someone can help me get this mic going again - picked up a dead M400.  I checked the wires at the XLR pins and everything was connected (although they became detached at the same time so I might not have the right pins for the red and blue wires.  I did check the mic before this though so I know that wasn't the issue). 

When I looked up how to take apart the mic, I discovered that there should be three screws attaching the top of the ball to the bottom.  Mine has no screws, or rather appears to have no screws.  Attempting to separate the top of the ball from the bottom was impossible though.  I was able to remove the mesh screen to reveal the paper pop filter below.  This was likely a mistake as I cannot get the grille back on.  But still, I cannot access the lower portion of the microphone.  I am beginning to wonder if the issue is that the screws were sheered off as I do see some silver in the holes.  It almost looks like rivets.

Any idea where to go next with this?  I am considering cutting out the pop filter paper because it's pretty nasty but I didn't want to just go straight in there without getting some info.

I can post pictures if it helps.

Back