• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FS: Stereo pm Pultec

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyscotch

I have a dual mono, PoorMan's Pultec I built with Ian's (ruffrecords) pcbs and cinemag transformers.

If you're not familiar with this build, it's basically a classic solid state Pultec Lo-Hi EQ circuit with a tube makeup gain stage.

This one works great, I built it a few years ago and it sounds AWESOME!! I even had quite a bit of help from Ian with some wiring and calibrating the tube stage.  It's never had any issues besides the pilot lamp went out at some point and I just never bothered replacing it. It's a cheap little lamp you can find anywhere.

The faceplate was custom made and engraved. It has a bit of rack rash and a chip in the paint you can see in the pics, from other gear, as it wasn't powdercoated, but the finish looks good besides that.

I love this EQ, but I'm mainly composing these days and I work exclusively in the box so I'm getting rid of most my outboard gear except preamps. There's a few bills I'm trying to pay off, so she has to go.
When I was recording a lot of bands, this thing sounded really great on bass and kick. It does that "boost and cut" Pultec thing really well. Very "3D" low end.

This EQ is really great and fully functional, it's a great, inexpensive entry into the Pultec "sound".
What I don't offer is support. It's a DIY project, I feel like it's a very good build, but there's no warranty or anything. But this is GroupDIY, so that's why it's not going up on eBay!!

Since this is a one of a kind piece, I only know what the parts are worth and what went into building it.
I'll consider offers and if someone offers something reasonable, I'll let her go.
I'd prefer not to ship outside the US, but if someone really wants it and wants to take all the responsibility for shipping and customs, I'll consider it.

Thanks!
2EACDD95-8C93-4F28-8794-FF0E09690E73.jpg

EB280C02-1ABD-49DC-A00E-FF0015497F2F.jpg

C8FDD14A-3FA2-46B5-A6EE-F6DF6870E8F9.jpg

0C073749-D14E-404B-97DB-07C641480F2A.jpg

Very nice build. I don't suppose, now you are selling it, that you would send me a set of those pics so I can  use it as an example of a high quality DIY build on my web site?

Cheers

Ian

You bet Ian!
Thanks for all your help and for offering these boards. I hope this isn't offensive to your hard work or anything like that!!!
I left my studio and I'm working all ITB at home these days, this is still an incredible EQ. I've been selling off all my outboard lately, and it really stings!!!

cheers
Eric

ruffrecords said:
Very nice build. I don't suppose, now you are selling it, that you would send me a set of those pics so I can  use it as an example of a high quality DIY build on my web site?

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back