threaded rivets and tooling

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Anyone have a favorite  rivet tool or can recommend a rivet tool for doing threaded rivets. We have a machine shop doing all of ours but once in a while a heavy heavy hand breaks the rivets and it would be cool to do metal repairs of that fashion  with a fix within an hour without having to send it out and have it gone for days.

I'ver never used this but apparently a pop-rivet variant...  http://www.harborfreight.com/45-piece-threaded-insert-riveter-kit-1210.html
image_18300.jpg

JR

Thanks john as always.

We looked at that but Harbor freight is el cheap made in china stuff. I have used that  specific one before at another gig where we were fixing rack cases that had rivets in them.  The purely hand mechanical action requires muscle and after a couple you  tire quickly.  I think I will check the local auto parts store like pep boys or perhaps a bit more industrial supply.  I was given the talk of getting a pneumatic one  so it's less physical work.
But again thank you. You sir are delight.

Hey,

If it is PEM's they are not done with a riveting type tool, they are done with a press with appropriate surfaces to make the base material "flow" around the PEM fastener, locking it in place. I believe a cheap way to  do it is using an "arbor press".

But a comment on the Rivnut style.... Avdel is a company that seems to be the leader. Note that (particularly with smaller threads, M3,M4) the mandrels can break easily. There are some tools in which the mandrels are actually just socket head cap screws of the correct length... which could save a lot of money after having to replace a few (like 50c compared with $30 for a "spare part")

Cheers,

T

Speaking of which, (and I hope I'm not too off topic) do you know any cheap/ decent way of inserting studs to the bottom of enclosures?  Arbor press seems very restricted since it's impossible to reach most of the metal's surface. I'm using hammer but it's not the best way.

warpie said:
Speaking of which, (and I hope I'm not too off topic) do you know any cheap/ decent way of inserting studs to the bottom of enclosures?  Arbor press seems very restricted since it's impossible to reach most of the metal's surface. I'm using hammer but it's not the best way.

You would use a stud welder, but don't know if they make them for aluminum.

I just learned something today.... I used PEM inserts in the past, did not know what they are called, got them at the local 'professional' hardware shop. if you are careful with the hole diameter you can easily drive them in with a washer / hex socket screw from the back - aesy enough for one-offs. much better then trying to cut a thread in sheet material, much much better at it in aluminium anyway.

- Michael

audiomixer said:
I just learned something today.... I used PEM inserts in the past, did not know what they are called, got them at the local 'professional' hardware shop. if you are careful with the hole diameter you can easily drive them in with a washer / hex socket screw from the back - aesy enough for one-offs. much better then trying to cut a thread in sheet material, much much better at it in aluminium anyway.

- Michael

threaded stand offs?

Latest posts

Back