New OEP transformer-10468 clone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sasarist

I just received OEP X218A05C - their version of 10468(tnx to Justin from OEP,very helpful and nice guy).
This is not the first time that I saw this transformer , Heritage Audio use them in most of their N - type preamps , and I was very curios to hear them in my units.
So first impressions- probably the best 10468 clone on the market.I put them against genuine 10468, Carnhill ,EA and OEP rock.Actually I like it maybe more then 10468 , because sound is little more forward in mid-range, and ,in same time resolution is very very nice(just to avoid that somebody get wrong impression-those differences are very subtle) .
When there is a 180 pf on secondary , OEP was noticeably brighter , but not in a bed way -Carnhill for example can sometimes sound a bit to open in high freq. range vs OEP who have more delicate sounding high freq..But when I put 12k load on OEP- it was perfect match to 10468.....bingo.
Btw finish is in hammered green , very similar to 10468.This is appropriate looking and very very god sounding transformer.OEP nailed it this time.

Attachments

• IMG_20170428_113142.jpg
    IMG_20170428_113142.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 321
Michael Tibes said:
Looks great, do you know where they can be bought and what the price might be?

Michael

I think that price will be more or less similar to Carnhill.In any case, you should contact them directly.

I am sure most of you know that OEP has been taken over by Carnhill so some lower cost 'clones' of Neve/Carnhill transformers was to be expected. Let's hope this is a welcome trend for other quality transformers.

Edit: Where did you buy it? What did you pay?

Edit: On a similar thread someone said these were supposed to be closer to the Marinair design. To the best of my knowledge, this transformer was designed by Rupert Neve himself (he worked for a transformer company before starting Neve)

Cheers

ian

iprovlek said:
Specifications....

Like a lot of transformer specs they are a bit vague in some aspects. They mention inductance at 1KHz, which is not really useful; you really need to know what it is at 20Hz (even a 100Hz figure would have been better). They mention frequency range with a specified load but and unspecified source. No mention of a Zobel network - maybe it does not need one. At least they publish low frequency distortion figures. Top marks for that.

I would still like to know what they cost.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
I am sure most of you know that OEP has been taken over by Carnhill so some lower cost 'clones' of Neve/Carnhill transformers was to be expected. Let's hope this is a welcome trend for other quality transformers.

-Yes I know that Carnhill take over OEP, but  not really shure about cheaper versions of their line.Until now OEP was targeting "lower price market" , but in a same time they are supplying Heritage Audio with this very nice 10468 repro.

[/quote]
: Where did you buy it? What did you pay?

[/quote]

This is a sample for test purposes.
I don't have any approvement to post their prices publicly , but....can say that for mqo of 50, price is in a same range as Carnhill.

[/quote]
Edit: On a similar thread someone said these were supposed to be closer to the Marinair design. To the best of my knowledge, this transformer was designed by Rupert Neve himself (he worked for a transformer company before starting Neve
[/quote]

Well , when I heard them ,I simply lost motivation to compare them constantly with 10468.They simply sound excellent, and that is enough for me.Carnhill are fine to , but there is always something about high frequency range that not make me happy at all.

Cheers

sasarist said:
Well , when I heard them ,I simply lost motivation to compare them constantly with 10468.They simply sound excellent, and that is enough for me.Carnhill are fine to , but there is always something about high frequency range that not make me happy at all.

Cheers

If you like them then that is fine.  I have corresponded with a guy who has taken apart an original 10468. He said there was an over complicated mechanical suspension sytem in there. He thought there was considerable scope for cost reduction without compromising performance. Maybe that is what OEP has done.

Cheers

ian

If I remember correctly our good Bo Hansen was involve some how on this, maybe beta testing? he show it to me on 2012 IIRC.

I would like to try it too.  Any possibility to get more samples or maybe a group buy?

12afael said:
If I remember correctly our good Bo Hansen was involve some how on this, maybe beta testing? he show it to me on 2012 IIRC.

I would like to try it too.  Any possibility to get more samples or maybe a group buy?

Group buy would be great.
I think that mqo is 50 pcs.

This is not a criticism but I am curious why so many people are interested in buying significant numbers of these. The price is apparently similar to Carnhill and the one guy who has tried one likes it.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
This is not a criticism but I am curious why so many people are interested in buying significant numbers of these. The price is apparently similar to Carnhill and the one guy who has tried one likes it.

Cheers

Ian

Well, I guess that we are all just the impulsive buyers...and that is so typical for musicians :)

ruffrecords said:

Cheers

Ian

I guess the heart wants what the heart wants.

I also have a number of builds that utilize this flavor of transformer, so I will be buying some version of 10468, whether this or someone other manufacturer.

Thanks!

Paul

sasarist said:
Well, I guess that we are all just the impulsive buyers...and that is so typical for musicians :)

That was my first thought. With so many people buying it, it will be interesting to see how opinions vary.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
That was my first thought. With so many people buying it, it will be interesting to see how opinions vary.

Cheers

Ian

Just to clear things about "price story".I was talking about equal prices between Carnhill and OEP on OEM coustumers level  - mqo of 100pcs (Carnhill mqo is 100 and OEP is 50pcs).Those prices are significantly lower than DIY-ers usually pay through distributors  .So group buy is logical way to go.I will talk to Justin about that subject.
Btw , if there is a time for that , I will try to make some sample tests and make few sweeps through OEP.

cheers

Latest posts

Back