Access Indigo 2 (Virus C) Main board DSP parts

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloudswim

Hey all,  posting here to find out about some info regarding  some mainboard parts for Access Indigo 2 ( Virus C ) Synthesizer. :'(

I recently acquired a second hand Virus Indigo 2 on OS 6.5. The synth is displaying some odd behaviors where the audio will suddenly dropout and make harsh consistent buzz or high pitched screeching noises. On other occasions it might just go silent, all the switches and knobs would be stuck. At this point I would have to re-start the synth. When turned on initially, everything functions perfectly, so it seems. After a short period of time, if I continue with the loaded preset sound where I left off before
turning off the synth the drop-out would happen again.  Sometimes it stays working properly longer than others. There seems to be no consistency or pattern for the freeze, but it seems to happen when I use the arp function (latch on) while tweaking different parameters with fx and LFO settings. I have spoken to the Access Support via email and they have suggested that it could be a CPU overload on the SYNTH engine. I have also tried looking for clues on the internet, and have encountered similar incidents from other users' description. Some have commented my specific issue is related to the hardware malfunction.  Therefore, I wanted to write to you guys and get a second opinion.

I got a response from the Access repair center from Germany.  Hello Alan, That sound like a serious hardware problem in the DSP section of the mainbaord. Replacing the DSP and the DSP Rams may fix the problem.

Alright! So I was able to find the following website on the internet which documents the inside of the Virus C.

http://studiorepair.com/gallery/Access/Virus_C/

Anyone know if the Indigo 2 and Virus C use exactly the same parts?

Can anyone point out which of these items in the linked image below are the DSP and DSP Ram? I know the DSP should be the single Motorola unit.

What about the DSP ram? It looks like item 1 & 4 are the memory. In the Studio Repair website it only mentions the Samsung parts but not the GSI parts, afaik GSI also produces RAM. Can someone confirm this? pls see link below.

https://goo.gl/photos/yCTztKnktBnAHdni7

Appreciate any help or directions to a different website for questions like this!

https://youtu.be/YkhKbjdfiGE

here is a video documenting the freeze up symptom (skip to very end), it acts a little different each time. (not sure if this is useful for anyone)

Many Thanks!

Hey all, posting here to find out about some info regarding some mainboard parts for Access Indigo 2 ( Virus C ) Synthesizer. :'(

I recently acquired a second hand Virus Indigo 2 on OS 6.5. The synth is displaying some odd behaviors where the audio will suddenly dropout and make harsh consistent buzz or high pitched screeching noises. On other occasions it might just go silent, all the switches and knobs would be stuck. At this point I would have to re-start the synth. When turned on initially, everything functions perfectly, so it seems. After a short period of time, if I continue with the loaded preset sound where I left off before
turning off the synth the drop-out would happen again. Sometimes it stays working properly longer than others. There seems to be no consistency or pattern for the freeze, but it seems to happen when I use the arp function (latch on) while tweaking different parameters with fx and LFO settings. I have spoken to the Access Support via email and they have suggested that it could be a CPU overload on the SYNTH engine. I have also tried looking for clues on the internet, and have encountered similar incidents from other users' description. Some have commented my specific issue is related to the hardware malfunction. Therefore, I wanted to write to you guys and get a second opinion.

I got a response from the Access repair center from Germany. Hello Alan, That sound like a serious hardware problem in the DSP section of the mainbaord. Replacing the DSP and the DSP Rams may fix the problem.

Alright! So I was able to find the following website on the internet which documents the inside of the Virus C.

http://studiorepair.com/gallery/Access/Virus_C/
Anyone know if the Indigo 2 and Virus C use exactly the same parts?

Can anyone point out which of these items in the linked image below are the DSP and DSP Ram? I know the DSP should be the single Motorola unit.

What about the DSP ram? It looks like item 1 & 4 are the memory. In the Studio Repair website it only mentions the Samsung parts but not the GSI parts, afaik GSI also produces RAM. Can someone confirm this? pls see link below.

https://goo.gl/photos/yCTztKnktBnAHdni7
Appreciate any help or directions to a different website for questions like this!

Hello Cloudswim,
Did you find a resolution for the problem you described in the post above? I know it's from a long time ago, I'm having the same issues with my Virus C and I am struggling to find out how to fix it. Any information you might have would be appreciated.

Back