ICEPower 125ASX2

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nanitlig

Does anyone have experience with ICEPower 125ASX2 amp modules?  I have one that is going in to protect mode and continues to attempt rebooting.  When I first power it on, it works for a little bit, then after a minute or so, it begins rebooting.  It's not getting hot, so I don't believe it's thermal protection related.  Mains voltage is clean and in range.  +/-43VDC come up on the amp and the aux supply comes up +/-25VDC.  No shorts on any of the MOSFETs or anything obvious. 

No schematics available, so I'm not really sure where to start lifting things to isolate the PSU from the amp to see if the problem is in the supply or the amp section.

Are you using it in bridge mode? There is a thermal pin that goes low if it shut down because of that reason. Have you check it?

Output is differential so be sure it is not grounded

I would like to use it in stereo mode.  I tried it by itself in stereo first, without any load, then thought maybe it wasn't happy without a load, so I put an 8ohm load across +1 and +2 outputs, to try bridged mode.  Passes signal when it's on.  I'm using a differential probe with my scope across the +1/+2 outputs.  I did notice, when I looked at each output separately, the channel 2 amp had quite a bit more switching noise on it than the channel 1 amp.  I'm sending balanced signal from my iPhone with Audio Tools app generator.  Signal (+) to input 1 and (-) to input 2.  I really wish there was a service manual out there for it.  I just have the datasheet/UM.  I don't have anything connected to any of the thermal, OC, sync or enable pins.  Just mains power, 115V jumper, input and output.  Not sure if one of the monitor circuits could be funky, or if filtering is off somewhere, with channel 2 having all that switching noise?

These ICE modules are very fragile. I blew one just by letting the ground clip of the probe touch the output for a millisecond or so. And, yes, it still "worked", but not as it should. These modules are made to be included in a system, with no risks of short-circuit or improper load.

They have over current protection. We connected by "accident" the ground of the scope to the output and it survived.
but yes they could be more robust and less noisy. 

Latest posts

Back