CA-250 EQ // 3 band Sontec in 500 series format

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elskardio

Hi everyone,

I want to share my latest project. After a few years of using my Sontec clone, I realized I was using only 2-3 band most of the time while tracking or mixing. Also I wanted more channels of this great EQ to be able to use it on multiple sources at the same time. So for the past months I've been working on a 3 band EQ based on the original MEP-250A and I must say I'm really happy with the result. The Low and High band can be switched to Shelving by turning the Q pot completely CCW. I'm using a single OPA 2134 for the input & summing amp.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update April 6, 2020:

Finally received my front panel shipment. I will pack and ship this week  ;)

The CA-250 EQ is now available to order directly from Chambord Audio's website.

For more information, please visit: https://chambordaudio.com

RECALL SHEET
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jm2kxsqwjpjuro9/CA-250_RECALL_SHEET.pdf?dl=0

Here's a few pictures  ;)
Cheers

Gabriel (Chambord Audio)

CA250_Pic1.jpg

CA250_Pic2.jpg

CA250_Pic3.jpg

CA250_Pic4.jpg

elskardio said:
Hi Nick, I prefer to stick to full kit.

Also I forgot to calculate the shipping and custom fees I'll have to pay on my end when ordering everything

Problem for everyone outside America & Canada is that we have to pay shipping & customs fees on your shipping & customs fees and so ad infinitum...

Anything sourced from America & Canada ends up 30-50% more expensive by the time we get it and that is additional cost, not added value

Board + panel would ship in a letter

Nick Froome

pvision said:
Problem for everyone outside America & Canada is that we have to pay shipping & customs fees on your shipping & customs fees and so ad infinitum...

Anything sourced from America & Canada ends up 30-50% more expensive by the time we get it and that is additional cost, not added value

Board + panel would ship in a letter

Nick Froome

Hi Nick,

if I understand correctly, using Regular Lettermail would save you some customs fees?

The maximum thickness for a letter with Canadapost is 20mm. I could easily fit the full kit in there. A lot of e-commerce uses 18mm cardboard box to ship small product via lettermail so customers benefits from lower shipping cost.

Sort of - in the UK at least, customs duty and import VAT are paid on the value of a package. As a full kit would cost more than a smaller kit (with, for example, just the boards and front panel), duty and VAT would be that much greater  and shipping costs would be higher as well.

So it's not the size of the package as such, it's what you've got in it that counts.  :-X

elskardio said:
Hi Nick,

if I understand correctly, using Regular Lettermail would save you some customs fees?

The maximum thickness for a letter with Canadapost is 20mm. I could easily fit the full kit in there. A lot of e-commerce uses 18mm cardboard box to ship small product via lettermail so customers benefits from lower shipping cost.

elskardio said:
I don't mind declaring a lower value on the package. I could put a 100$ value if that helps?
In a global world I wouldn't do things like this. Customs learned many things, today they have Internet, they use google, they know eBay, and forums. They once wanted me to show them this forum and compared pictures of a build and support thread with the PCBs in the parcel.
In addition we have to show our payment these days.

[silent:arts] said:
In a global world I wouldn't do things like this. Customs learned many things, today they have Internet, they use google, they know eBay, and forums. They once wanted me to show them this forum and compared pictures of a build and support thread with the PCBs in the parcel.
In addition we have to show our payment these days.

Wow! Better stay 100% legit then. Thanks for the heads-up.

I just ordered some 18mm shipping box that would fit Canadapost's lettermail specs. It would lower the shipping cost significantly... around 25$ for the UK in 7 business days with a signature at delivery. I know you might have some customs to pay but at least it would compensate a bit.

That's brilliant, thanks very much for being open to the partial kit idea - will be a big help!

I'm still definitely in for 2 (partial) kits.  8)

Back