CA-250 EQ // 3 band Sontec in 500 series format

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The build on the EQs has gone very smoothly.  I really appreciate the excellent build instructions document and BOM.  Also, a nice touch is theMouser part cart used to purchase the components.  The parts arrive with the packaging labeled from the vendor so that you know where they are placed on the PCB with the reference such as R1, C1, IC1, etc. 

By following the build guide and BOM you would have to work hard to screw up this assembly.  :)

I have started the calibration procedure which is going well so far and will report back after performing some audio tests.

Excellent Kit !!

Finished my pair recently - a very enjoyable build, thanks in no small part to the well-put-together kit and great manual. Calibration was a doddle, and went smoothly.

I've only had a short while to test them on some stereo material I use to test all new gear, but first impressions are very positive. The EQs are very smooth, and really seem to get inside and work with the audio somehow (especially in an MS matrix). Very natural sound. Ultra-quiet, too - a really pro piece of gear! I've never used a Sontec so no idea how these compare, but I'm very happy with these and I'm really looking forward to getting to know 'em. They certainly compare very well with the Xfilter in the pic below.

And I LOVE the switch de-clicker & unity trim - absolutely no change whatsoever when engaging or disengaging (checked with null test!). Brilliant.

Hats off, Elskardio!

[Edit: I switched the black knobs out for some cream ones I had lying around, more visible in my dingy space!]

Attachments

• IMG_4447.JPG
    IMG_4447.JPG
    887.8 KB · Views: 71
TwentyTrees said:
Finished my pair recently - a very enjoyable build, thanks in no small part to the well-put-together kit and great manual. Calibration was a doddle, and went smoothly.

I've only had a short while to test them on some stereo material I use to test all new gear, but first impressions are very positive. The EQs are very smooth, and really seem to get inside and work with the audio somehow (especially in an MS matrix). Very natural sound. Ultra-quiet, too - a really pro piece of gear! I've never used a Sontec so no idea how these compare, but I'm very happy with these and I'm really looking forward to getting to know 'em. They certainly compare very well with the Xfilter in the pic below.

And I LOVE the switch de-clicker & unity trim - absolutely no change whatsoever when engaging or disengaging (checked with null test!). Brilliant.

Hats off, Elskardio!

[Edit: I switched the black knobs out for some cream ones I had lying around, more visible in my dingy space!]

Hi TwentyTrees,

thank you for the nice comments. Looking great with the white knobs  ;)

Any chance you'll be doing a second run of the kits?

Id love to get my hands on a couple. Bare bone kits are cool with me, if thats easier on you,. just the Board and front panel.

/
Emil

Studio Mollan said:
Any chance you'll be doing a second run of the kits?

Id love to get my hands on a couple. Bare bone kits are cool with me, if thats easier on you,. just the Board and front panel.

/
Emil

I might make another batch of kits by the end of 2017...

Stay tuned  ;)

Hi Gabriel !

Is it possible and not too difficult for you to ship in Belgium?

I might be interested !

Thanks,

Rowan

Back