Right to Repair

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emrr

Comments from broadcast engineers in response to an editorial about the various 'right to repair' legislations, pretty good reading.

http://www.mazdigital.com/webreader/49966?page=28

Agreed where is protection from planed obsolescence with electronics and no right to document servicing manuals (Avid & others).  We are suppose to conserve energy but throw away gear conserves energy how?  Double standards. 

What I don't understand is some facets of industry seem to be exempt from some legislation concerning rosh and other things. This is mainly best described as we know the stuff is not going to be tossed in a landfill. Why audio equipment is not under the list of industries getting exemption I do not know.

pucho812 said:
What I don't understand is some facets of industry seem to be exempt from some legislation concerning rosh and other things. This is mainly best described as we know the stuff is not going to be tossed in a landfill. Why audio equipment is not under the list of industries getting exemption I do not know.
Exemptions are done for security reasons and have nothing to do with waste or landfills.
Medical equipment, trains, air-planes. NASA and military too.

emrr said:
Comments from broadcast engineers in response to an editorial about the various 'right to repair' legislations, pretty good reading.

http://www.mazdigital.com/webreader/49966?page=28

I usually stop reading when the writer starts complaining about SMT components. It's the rare new component that is available in a through-hole package. And that a tech who's been in the business 50 years is unwilling to adapt to a packaging technology that's been around for 30 of those years, well, that's the not gear vendor's problem.

And every time I have this kind of discussion with a long-time studio tech type, I say: "You don't have the tools to debug microprocessor or FPGA code."

That said, it's not the repairability of hardware that is the real problem. The real problem is when a vendor obsoletes perfectly good pieces of kit by not providing driver updates to support the latest operating systems.

Every tech that I know that dissess SMD stuff seems to assume that SMD instantly means QFN and 0201 packages too. I honestly find 0805 and SOIC packages easier if not the same as DIP to work on...

I think I would pick SMD Over Low quality Plated through hole boards that fall apart any day!

I have ragged on SMS and realize it's having the right tools means all the difference.  I like the 2520 with SMD components.  I see it as a great way to build clean packages.

I recently posted about the mic preamp  in my avid Omni going out and Avids policy of no schematic release with a 1000 dollar repair which amounts to a board replacement rather than a repair.  Makes me rethink buying a one box solution verses separate components. 

fazer said:
I have ragged on SMS and realize it's having the right tools means all the difference.  I like the 2520 with SMD components.  I see it as a great way to build clean packages.
I remember Paul Wolff proudly showing me his brand new SMD op amp in his API booth at an AES show (some time last century). I would often check in during shows and see what he was up to, I knew him from way back.
I recently posted about the mic preamp  in my avid Omni going out and Avids policy of no schematic release with a 1000 dollar repair which amounts to a board replacement rather than a repair.  Makes me rethink buying a one box solution verses separate components.
Life is hard.. ::).  a mic preamp can probably be repaired without a schematic... 

Fixing a product with embedded controllers is likely hard even for Andy.  ;D (I recall trying to fix my dishwasher control PCB without success... it was under warranty so the real repair guy installed a brand new PCB, and discarded the old one. That is the new math).

We should win a prize for fixing stuff without schematics, but we already do... the product works again.  ;D

JR

Latest posts

Back