FET 500 Revision D Compressor Issue

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicole_14

I purchased and put together the FET 500 Revision D compressor. I put the unit in the FET 500 rack to calibrate and the unit started smoking. I took it apart and I could see two sources that appeared to have been slightly damaged from the smoke, R32 on the main PCB and Q200 on the meter PCB.. now I checked the BOM and those parts are in the correct place. Also, some of the transistors in the kit appear on the BOM with the last three digits being "708" but on the actual transistor the last three digits are "707", any particular reason why? I'm sort of stuck at the moment, I'm not sure what is causing the unit to smoke. Any suggestions with how i should move forward? Thanks!

I have no idea what a fet 500 revision D compressor is...

if it was a kit maybe talk to the seller who has your money..? (I used to run a kit business back in the 70s and supported my customers who had problems).

Unclear about the last three digits of a transistor part number... you can confirm if it is PNP or NPN (or broken)  with a junction diode tester in most VOMs. The schematic should reveal which it "should" be... 

A full device part number might be more helpful, for what-if speculation.

JR 

Back