• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Feeler: Original style 1081 cases

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats correct Salomander.
The 1073 is a few inches lower than the 1081.

About the imperial screws its not so easy as you would think.
Try find the countersunk hex head 6BA omes in black with the correct lenght.
Its not easy.
And does anyone have a good source for pressnuts or Hank rivet bushings with 6BA thread?
I have only found some rusty ones on ebay but would love to know where they can be found.

I agree... Imperial are hard to source. At least here in EU.
If this doesn't heart anyone’s feelings I would prefer M3

I can agree with it to and will most likely do some for myself with 6BA but do the main batch with M3.
I just need to make sure the countersunk holes in the frontpanel will be a good fit for both, M3 is usually larger if i remember correctly.

Here is the chassis that Dan made for me a few years back.
These will be very similar if not the same with a more correct frontpanel with both orange and white lettering.

1081_chassis_1.jpg

1081_chassis_2.jpg

1081_chassis_3.jpg

1081_chassis_4.jpg

1081_chassis_5.jpg

Here is a comparison i did between, left to right, original Neve, Dans and AMS-Neve.

1081_metalwork_2.jpg

1081_metalwork_3.jpg

Sorry for the delay in getting back with an update.

So i have now spoken with the metalshop and done some more research.
They can do a prototype but it will cost a fair bit of money, and if i should get it all ready plated, painted and silkscreened it will take about a month to get it all done.
Then in July they are closing for holidays for about five weeks so wont be able to start production until August.

So, i wanted to ask all of you that showed interest if its important for you to see a prototype before you commit?
I have no problem doing it, the actual cost for each complete chassi will  only be a few euros, but its more the time that worries me.
I would rather get the ball rolling now and get these done before they go on holiday, but its realy up to you guys.

The finished product will be more or less exactly as the one pictured above, but with a few improvements.
The nickel finish will be better and more smooth.
The frontpanel will be painted in the exact correct BS633 Raf blue/grey
Frontpanel will also be screened in both white and correct orange for the gainswitch markings.
Most likely i will have the upper and lower panels (with the guides) drilled out for 1073/1064 as well so we could use the same part further on if i decide to do more cases.
Also, the inner frontpanel will most likely have oval holes for the pushswitches so different switchchassis could be mounted.

Then I still have not been able to find a pressnut or Henry bush rivet in 6BA in larger quantitues.
AMS-Neve use them for the frontpanel (and M3 for the rest) so they must be avilable somewhere.
Does anyone have a clue?
Personally i believe the M3 on the front are to big and looks bad, so would like to do them all with 6BA.
I have found the correct screws so they are not a problem anymore.

Let me know what you all think!

hey API,
i might be wrong - but i think a 6BA has the exact same thread as m3. so you can use a regular m3 nut with a 6BA screw. im not 100% certain, so please double check this..

I am absolutely fine with waiting a couple of months for this. Still interested in two cases. Is there a source for the square pushbuttons?

/Anders

I'm fine with waiting as well... These square PP ITT switches with caps gives me headache as well...
@API do you have source for these?

//Jarek

Jarek said:
These square PP ITT switches with caps gives me headache as well...
@API do you have source for these?

+1 regarding pushbuttons and caps.
I would replace them with NKK's KB series. They are very hi quality illuminated switches, more reliable and so on.. and easy to mount as well - just a round hole is required. The symbols can be printed on films and inserted into the caps.

If it's not too late put me in for a few cases. To be honest I would dream about 10 of them but I don't know if I'll be able to pay when they'll be ready so... Depending on when and how much I would buy from2 to 10 boxes/kits.

Hi again.

Have been away for a week but back home again.
So, i have decided that i will do a proto case after all before the metalshop closes for the summer.
Then i will check and recheck so everything is ok and start production when they open up in August again.
That means that they will most likely be finished at the end of August.
It fits my schedule better and i think its the same from many others judging by the reactions i have gotten so far.

@salomander, unfortunately the M3 and 6BA thread are not the same, the 6BA is closer to a M2.5 but not quite either.
But this will give me more time to hunt down the 6BA pressnuts, they must be available somewhere on this planet.

About the square switchcaps i am still trying to sort that out.
I might even go so far as to making a mould for them, but i am looking into costs right now.
I have a company that can do them for about 4 euros each if order many, but i have not seen their work and how good they are.

I did look into the NKK switches @greebok, but if we go that route i need to design the case around those since mounting and the opening in the frontpanel needs to be different.
But its not a bad solution at all.

More news to come as i find out more...

Hi guys.

Sorry for the long wait, but summer is now finally over and we can get back to our dungeons of DIY.

So, i have been trying to sort out a few things in the past months, and my metalshop were also closed for some weeks.
But now i am back on track with the project and have found a M2.5 pressnut that works good for the case.
I have opted to use M2.5 since it have the same threading as the old 6BA and roughly the same size, you can thread a 6BA in a M2.5 hole but not the other way around, and this is the way AMS-Neve have solved it on their cases.

What is still a problem is the white/black switchcaps, i have been looking into making molds and also 3D printing, but both have their backdraws and it will also cost alot to start up production of these.
I did check the NKK KB switches and these will work, but are somewhat larger which could look weird to some people, but at least they will work.
If you google a Neve 3104 module you will get they basic idea of what it will look like since they used a similar sized switchcap, but keep in mind that the modules are just 35mm wide so looks even bigger in those.
Possibly i could do two versions, one with original and one with NKK´s.

I will however make the prototype with the original style switches and will post pics of it as soon as its done.

But i wanted to ask everyone that expressed interest before if they are still interested?
The list i previously made looked like this:

Myself 16-24
Mikael 16
Acke 24

Mesa Joe 24
Serge 16
Greebook 16
Salomander 8
Moltenwok 8-16

Would be great if you guys could let me know!

Just to clarify, these are the module version that will require a console or a chassis designed for the historic 1081, correct?

Thanks!

Paul

Yes, that is correct, they will be original style for a console or rack.

As soon as the proto is done i will have a better clue on pricing, but i would say just over 100 euro each, but dont quote me on that, i might have forgotten something in that calculation.

API said:
Yes, that is correct, they will be original style for a console or rack.

As soon as the proto is done i will have a better clue on pricing, but i would say just over 100 euro each, but dont quote me on that, i might have forgotten something in that calculation.

Copy that.

I'll either have to get a 1081 rack or painfully try not to think about this project. Either way, phenomenal work, sir. I'll stay tuned to see how it turns out.

I picked a bad day to quit DIY'ing.....

Thanks!

Paul

Back