• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Feeler: Original style 1081 cases

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DJN, for sure, i will let you all know when i am ready to go ahead.
I am planning to do a 1064 version later on, if thats what you meant.

Also @thestudio, there will be a 1084 version as well later on, but need to finish the 1081 first....

Hi,

Yes sorry 1064 :) typo 1073 without the dual concentric and only one input transformer.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/56325ea2e4b0ae45ccab74fe/t/56f3f9e47c65e43ec6b2e8dd/1458829821770/

Anyone on the scan's ?

DJN

The 1064 have both line and mic input transformers.
Its the 1063 that only have one, but that one is in the not so tall case ala 1073

What kinda of time frame on the 1081?  Also, there's another person creating a 1084 frame but he's not going to be ready many months that's why I ask...
https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=67470.msg857048#msg857048

Attachments

• 69qcex.jpg
    69qcex.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 55
Looking at your 81 in the previous pictures what's going on with the bottom four button........neve-ish?

thestudio said:
Looking at your 81 in the previous pictures what's going on with the bottom four button........neve-ish?

Are you refering to the size of the 4 large push buttons? Thats how the original 1081's looked.

Yes, there is supposed to be four large buttons at the bottom of the module.
It is impossible to find the original part, but i found one that is the same physical size that will work and that is the one pictured.

I will try to get these done as soon as possible, but there are many people involved and everything should sync.
My only trouble right now is to find someone that can paint the panels in the correct way, but i do have the right paint mixed up so should not be to much trouble.

My friend is working on a new pcb as well, the old one from Tommy was not 100% correct, but this one will be.
I know he is building a testmodule right now with this pcb so i will wait to see how it turns out.

1) Is the cutout for lower four switches identical to original?
2) Can I purchase the frames without faceplate?
3) Since I have Tommy version of pcb's what's not identical?
4) How many months for 1081 frame?
5) How many months for 1084 frame?

I own a pair of Neve 1081's and I'm looking to assemble my 16 clone sets.

thestudio said:
1) Is the cutout for lower four switches identical to original?
2) Can I purchase the frames without faceplate?
3) Since I have Tommy version of pcb's what's not identical?
4) How many months for 1081 frame?
5) How many months for 1084 frame?

I own a pair of Neve 1081's and I'm looking to assemble my 16 clone sets.

1. Yes
2. Not sure yet, most likely not, and either way the price difference would not be that big.
3. I did not make those boards and have never used them.
I do know however that there were two different versions and that i read in a thread here from someone that built them up that there was error/s on them.
Maybe you can do a search and find out, but they are usuable of course, there are people that have built them up.
4. Hopefully within a month, but dont qoute me on that.
5. No idea to be honest.

Great, i will add your name to the list.
The second prototype is currently in production and should be ready soon!

Update!

So i finally got the second prototype and its looking very good!
All parts look more or less perfect and there are just some minor adjustments that needs to be made for the final version.

So now i just needs to check a few more things, prices for the engraved caps etc before i can come up with a final price.
I will offer theese in three parts:

First is chassis only with painted and silkscreened frontpanel.
Same as above plus all pushbutton switches with engraved caps (8 in total)
Same as above but plus a full set of Marconi knobs with a custom made freq. selector switch that is alot better than the Elma one.

When i have figured out final pricing i will open a new thread in the White market and contact each and everyone that have expressed interest in these chassis.
These will be sold through my company and i need to charge 25% VAT on every order that is within the EU.
But if you are outside the EU or inside with a valid VAT number there will be no VAT.

If you have any questions feel free to post them here!

Here are a few snaps i took today with my iPhone, better pictures to come.

Attachments

• IMG_0354.jpg
    IMG_0354.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 43
Raw chassis.
Please note that the parts are not nickleplated yet, they are just raw metal.

Attachments

• IMG_0366.jpg
    IMG_0366.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 31
All dressed up with a vintage frontpanel, mine will be in the same RAF blue color and will be silkscreened in white and orange as the originals.
Please note that i have only put simple Dymo labels on the bottom four switches here.
They will be engraved with the original font and size in the final version.

Attachments

• IMG_0393.jpg
    IMG_0393.jpg
    515.4 KB · Views: 65
API,  those look killer! And another massive wiring project! Why do I love the rabbit hole so...? I keep jumping into it.

BTW, anybody know of a US source for Cranford wire?

Latest posts

Back