• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Feeler: Original style 1081 cases

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks fantastic!

Couple of questions:

Is there still planning to be a PCB to accompany this?

Is there a DIY option for building the rack for these to go in or would we have to buy one from AMS/Neve, Vintage King, etc?

Thanks!

Paul

wmarden said:
API,  those look killer! And another massive wiring project! Why do I love the rabbit hole so...? I keep jumping into it.

BTW, anybody know of a US source for Cranford wire?

Thanks!
I am in the EU so dont know where you can that wire in the US.

Potato Cakes said:
Looks fantastic!

Couple of questions:

Is there still planning to be a PCB to accompany this?

Is there a DIY option for building the rack for these to go in or would we have to buy one from AMS/Neve, Vintage King, etc?

Thanks!

Paul

Thanks!
I will do my best to have a pcb available as well, but i need to focus on doing the chassis first.
But i have a few options for making pcbs so i am sure that it will happen.

About the rack it would be easy to do one for DIY, the only hard part to find is the mating male Amphenol connector.

Good hear about the PCBs. I was inquiring as that would solve my biggest hesitation taking on this project.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

Paul

I have (8) ten81 version 3 pcbs for sale with switches and pots..........

Just to give a heads up i expect to have everything under control and all pricing ready this weekend.
Will start a new thread and get back to everyone that expressed interest once i am ready to launch  ;)

API said:
Just to give a heads up i expect to have everything under control and all pricing ready this weekend.
Will start a new thread and get back to everyone that expressed interest once i am ready to launch  ;)

Good to hear! Thanks for an awesome project!

Hi all.

Had some family business to take care of in the last few weeks but back on track now again!
So i am more or less ready to launch this project and will post in the White Market as soon as possible.

In addition to the actual chassis, i will also offer a full set of replica knobs and also all pushbutton switches with engraved knobs.
If there is interest i could also check out to possibility to offer the full set of Blore-Edwards and ELMA gain switches.
Please let me know your thoughts here about that!

The pushbutton switces will be Chinese made hardgold plated ITT/Schadow copies.
Although they are Chinese they are of better quality than the Toneluck swithches AMS-Neve uses and were made by SRS in the UK as an alternative when Schadow/ITT stopped production of their switches.
The smaller caps will be engraved with black infill like the originals and the four switches at the bottom will be the ones seen above in the thread, although they are not vintage correct, they are the best alternative i have found.
These will also be engraved with the same font and text as the old ones.

I will also offer a few other things that are Neve related.
First will be knob sets for both the 1073 and 1084 modules.
I am just about to manufacture the aluminium frequency selector and it will be a 1:1 replica of the originals with the correct satin grey finish.
Much, much better than the Elma one or any other.
The Marconi knobs will be the chinese version that everyone else use, all with 3mm setscrews.

Then i have also manufactured the original style heatsink in black anodized aluminium for the BA182/283 cards.
These will not be cheap i am afraid and are not realy neccesary, but if you want to go all the way like me, they are a nice addition to any of these cards you will build.

Lastly i will also offer the original style input transformer pcb mounted holder in nickelplated brass.
These are a 1:1 copy of the transformer holder used on the B312 card in the 1081 and many other Neve, Cadac and Audix modules among others.
I think these will be a nice addition to any new or vintage build that uses the new Carnhill inputs or any vintage version.
These will be available as single ones or as wholesale for any other builders or kitmakers out there.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Dennis

This is great news indeed.

I don't think you should worry about stocking the Blore/Elma switches. I think that will be more of a headache for you and the parts are readily available directly through Blore and Don Audio.

The switches, caps, and input transformer holders would be very handy to be able to buy with the chassis.

I think the only other thing that would be helpful is listing a source for the cards, edge connectors, and possibly a wiring diagram.

Providing the cases, push button switches, and caps are going to keep you busy enough. Outside of that I would suggest letting your customers utilize other members of this community and their DIY skills to take of the rest.

Amazing work!

Thanks!

Paul

Well done Dennis! Amazing work... Looks very good.

I second comment from Paul. Case, switches caps and maybe edge connector for racking
would be prio 1.
Collin @ audio maintenance stocks Elma and Blore switches. Frequency selector knobs are
interesting though...

Thanks for doing this!

Thanks for the encouraging words!

Ok, I will leave the Blore Edwards switches out of the equation for now then.
As you say i will be busy enough anyway.

Still had other things to take care of last week and this weekend, but will do the post in the white market next week, promise!

Frequency knobs will be done for sure!
I am sure that people building any 1073/84 modules would want those as well.

My friend is working on a pcb as well which will hopefully be available soon as well.

Hi guys.

Sorry that its taking some time to get the thread up, but now its finally paid for and i will post it in the white market tomorrow.

Here is a small rack i made for a pair of 1272 modules.
I have this drawn up and its easy for me to scale it up for a large rack to hold the 1081 modules.
It could either be freestanding like this, either with or without the wood top/bottom, or it would be easy to add angled aluminium bars on the sides that have been cut for racking.

Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• 4E4C4D30-3209-4F0C-80A6-A359846590E0.jpeg
    4E4C4D30-3209-4F0C-80A6-A359846590E0.jpeg
    446.4 KB · Views: 56
Sideview.

Attachments

• A2CCE5E4-DBC4-437B-A60F-B518C8E28715.jpeg
    A2CCE5E4-DBC4-437B-A60F-B518C8E28715.jpeg
    358.6 KB · Views: 18
And from the back

Attachments

• 0F012813-24A2-4BD5-A7A7-626E7B15C61B.jpeg
    0F012813-24A2-4BD5-A7A7-626E7B15C61B.jpeg
    300.8 KB · Views: 29
Looking fantastic!

Will this also be scalable to do 8-10 modules in a rack?

The wood panels are a nice touch and it'd be great to have if they weren't too much trouble to make in addition to what you are already doing. I think just having a chassis option for a 1081 module that doesn't cost over $1kUSD like the VK version is the important part. Making it look sexy is the icing.

Thanks!

Paul

Thanks!

Its no problem at all to make a version with 8 or 10 modules.
This is the way Neve built their racks in the 70´s, but usually without any top or bottom panels, just sides and backplane with the ISEP crossbars.
But the problem is of course the connector, i would need to machine a part to house a connector pcb that is both slightly movable and fixed so there is some flex when inserting the module, but its doable, just have to think about it a little.

Working on the last details of my text now so will post sale thread shortly!

Thread in the White Market was posted Friday, but seems to be some trouble getting it cleared.
But hopefully tomorrow!

Back