• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB dbx RMS C1253

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvision

Looking for a couple of dbx 1253 RMS detector chips for 160XT / 163X repairs

2 or ideally 4, preferably in the UK or Europe. New or used

Thanks!

Nick Froome

I have a board with 8 of them. However, there is a seller on e-bay who is offering new ones.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DBX1253-RMS-Level-Detector-for-DBX-Noise-Red-xref-SK9879-UPC1253-IX0499CE-C1253-/251207055558

upc1253 was used since the beginning of 80s  IIRC,  2252 was later introduced by ThatCorp.

@Nick
I have some original used 1253 from  dbx166, I can send it to you for free, you will pay just shipping.
PM me if interested.

From the horse's mouth:
"The uPC1253 was the same device as the 2252.  The part was developed at dbx in the early 1980s.  At that time dbx licensed their noise reduction systems to many consumer audio manufacturers, primarily for cassette decks and reel-to-reel tape machines.  (Teac/Tascam were among them, but for a time there were many others.)  Licensees were permitted to purchase the uPC1253 part directly from the manufacturer (NEC) since they paid royalties to dbx.  Non licensees purchased the 2252 device from dbx.  These devices were tested and marked at dbx (and, later, at THAT).  Shortly after we started THAT Corporation sales of the part became exclusive to us.

Regards,
Gary

Gary K. Hebert
Chief Technology Officer

Thanks everyone. I will buy some more as I seem to be knee-deep in dbx 160X and XTs. I have ten within arm's reach...

Nick Froome

abbey road d enfer said:
The uPC1253 was the same device as the 2252.  The part was developed at dbx in the early 1980s.  At that time dbx licensed their noise reduction systems to many consumer audio manufacturers, primarily for cassette decks and reel-to-reel tape machines.  (Teac/Tascam were among them, but for a time there were many others.)  Licensees were permitted to purchase the uPC1253 part directly from the manufacturer (NEC) since they paid royalties to dbx.  Non licensees purchased the 2252 device from dbx.  These devices were tested and marked at dbx (and, later, at THAT).  Shortly after we started THAT Corporation sales of the part became exclusive to us.

Thanks for great info. I stand corrected.

Back